Upgrading to road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VicoRoad

Having bought a hybrid with the bike to work scheme, I'm planning to get a road bike. Given budgetary constraints, I have narrowed down to 3 possibles:

- Specialized Allez Sport
- Trek 1.2
- Giant Defy 3

Any thoughts on which one and why? And which would be most upgradable?
Thanks in advance.

LizardEye

I got the Defy 3 a couple of months ago, after a few years on a MTB.

I tried the Allez but it was a bit too sporty for what I wanted. Having said that the Defy's no armchair.

You really need to try them all to see which one feels best. There's really not much in it in mechanical or quality terms, it's down to what fits you best.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It really depends on what you want out of a road bike as the Lizard says.

Personally I'd plan a rolling upgrade.

Get whichever bike feels best and then gradually upgrade the 3 main elements - wheels first,then the groupset and finally the frame.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I have an Allez, and certainly wouldn't recommend against it. However I don't have much experience, and couldn't make a choice based on comparison. So wouldn't advise against either of the other two.

deccoo

Friend of mine has just picked up a Trek 1.2 and speaks very highly of it. Assured handler and pretty smooth ride apparently.

In terms of upgrade potential, going with the one with the best frame would be my choice - as everything else can be upgraded around it. Not sure what the answer is to that, but have a look at the reviews and seek the collective wisdom of the CC Beast to help you work that out.

Top Bottom