Upgrading V brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Are all V-brakes likely to be compatible with all hybrid bikes?

The non brand brakes on my cheapo commuter bike are unsurprisingly mediocre so I am considering replacing them with something better. Can I pick up any pair of Shimano brakes and swap them out?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might be disappointed though, unless your current arms are made of plastic, you’ll get more benefit from changing the pads. Might be worth replacing the cables too.

Duffy

Über Member
The cheaper metal ones flex when pulled in creating a spongy feeling at the lever, the better quality ones are much more rigid and responsive.
I’ve got an old tourer that’s on V brakes and I use Shimano LX with genuine Shimano pads, they work well and are easy enough to set up

In case you are tempted to go "upmarket" @RoadRider400 or have restricted choice due to supply issues, it's my impression that all Shimano V brakes are pretty much as good as each other - no need to go for the supposedly more upmarket models.
Pretty much all my bikes are v brakes - have fitted a few systems from scratch - and they all stop just fine, even with the load of junk I very often carry.

T4tomo

Guru
Start with some decent brake blocks before you replace the v brake arms. and check the cables are all seated properly and moving smoothly through any stretches of outer cable.

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

The V brakes on the bike are really flimsy even if not actually plastic making adjustments to the seating rather tricky. I agree with not spending too much so will be on the look out for a pair over the next few days and will report back once I have installed them. The cables look in very good condition so I will try and retain those.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good luck with the replacements. If the cabling has been on for a couples of years the metal inners will certainly be rusting. If you only replace the cable inners and grease them itlll be worthwhile for the pennies spent and pay dividends in terms of operation.
Dont forget to grease the bosses too.

T4tomo

Guru
yes change the inner cables, its quite hard to rethread a used /cut cable anyway, so thread etc it before cutting to length. Its not worth trying to save a couple of ££ for inner cables

Top Bottom