Upgrading wheelset - how much work/cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalniel

My 2015 Fuji Tread 1.3 adventure bike has been absolutely stellar, and as much as the n+1 rule niggles, I know I'd definitely be chasing diminishing returns getting a whole new road bike. But I am considering upgrading the wheels. I can see ordering new wheels online is simple, but how hard is it to swap components over/what tools will I need? - I guess it'd be at least the disc rotor and cassette for the rear. Or is it the sort of thing easiest done by a local independent, in which case, what sort of cost am I looking at roughly?

Also is it worth getting a new cassette+chain at the same time?

Jody

Stubborn git
Easy 10-15 minute job to switch parts across. You'll need a chain whip, lock ring tool and an allen key for the discs.

Replacing the chain and cassette depends on how many miles you have done and how much wear they are showing.

jay clock

Massive member
there are two types of disk rotor fittings (6 bolt or centre lock) I think so make sure your new wheels match the current one. or buy a new disk rotor

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Relatively straight forward to swap wheels usually, however a few caveats, firstly you have a QR wheelset which is increasingly difficult to find for disc brakes as most bikes now use one of the through-axle standards, so be careful just buying a disc brake wheelset. Some of them allow you to swap the axle for a QR/Through Axle as needed though, so that could well be of use.

In my experience if you buy a second wheelset it's better to buy new rotors and cassette as well - you then have a complete wheelset spare which can be useful in winter for example.

OP
OP
kalniel

kalniel

In my experience if you buy a second wheelset it's better to buy new rotors and cassette as well - you then have a complete wheelset spare which can be useful in winter for example.
Yes that was definitely in my thinking too, though there don't seem to be a lot of 140mm rotors around (the joys of entry-level components!).

I was (eventually) likely to get one of Hunt's lower end wheelsets, which they can supply with QR axles and 6-bolt adaptors.

Thanks for the Torx recommendations - I've got both T20 and T25 in my torque adaptor box.

si_c

Guru
Yes that was definitely in my thinking too, though there don't seem to be a lot of 140mm rotors around (the joys of entry-level components!).
Worth checking ebay, plenty of options for 140mm rotors - worth remembering that you can get an adaptor to fit 6 bolt rotors on centrelock hubs but not the other way around.

Top Bottom