Upgrading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martin-g

Regular
Hi all

I’m new to the forum and seeking some advice about upgrading my bike.

It’s a giant defy 4 alux which I bought last July, I didn’t want to spend a fortune as I was only just getting going with cycling, hence an entry level bike. However, I’m quite enjoying it and keep thinking about a new improved bike but everything seems so expensive!

This is what has made me think about just a few little tweaks to mine to bring it up a notch. At the moment it’s running 16 speed Shimano Claris which can feel a little clunky. I was thinking would it be possible to upgrade to 105 at all? I know that I’d need to get new shifters, derailleur’s, cassette, is there anything else? I believe my rear wheel is capable of taking a 10 speed so that shouldn’t be a problem. Also I’m getting confused with part compatibility eg 5800 10 speed rear derailleur and 5700 10 speed shifters, do these work together?

Sorry if I’m asking really stupid questions but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Martin.

Your questions are not stupid. In fact, every person new to cycling asks them as do many who have been in cycling for a long time.

You'll find many suggestions for upgrades to follow. After all, you did ask for suggestions.

However, this upgrade thing is tomfoolery. Your bike is fine as it is. Your perception of clunky is just in your mind. They all "feel" the same.

Cycling is about getting out, riding, seeing scenery, taking pictures and, well, cycling. It is not about the bike.

Yes there are fancy bikes out there and yes, the owners of those bikes will go to great length to describe the wonderful sensations of riding those said wonderful bikes but, they are self-justifying it. Don't confuse them with elite cyclists who put huge demands on their bikes and can benefit from very small improvements in speed. As a beginner, your biggest improvements will come from fitness, not new gadgets.

You'll be at your happiest when you just cycle and hang out with people who don't fixate on upgrades and specs and nonsense science and what the latest stupid bike magazine said in its April issue.

Go places, take alternative routes, be with friends, smell the roses, enjoy life and drink a beer or two.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Yellow Saddle is right. However, to answer the technical questions.

Current 105 is 11 speed not 10. 5800 is 11 speed. The pull ratio (how much the cable moves withe each click of the shifter) is different between 10 and 11 speed, so don't think of trying to mix. So in short if you really want to change buy the whole groupset and potentially wheels and sell the old.

However, I honestly don't think it is worth it, you won't suddenly notice a massive difference and you won't be significantly faster. I would save the money, keep saving a while and just buy a new bike with 105 on and perhaps change your Defy into a winter bike. If you don't want a new bike then just spend a reasonable amount of money on some decent tyres for your Defy, that would feel a bigger difference than the groupset.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe check the gearing is all in tip top condition if it's got clunkier? Maybe change the cables if you've done a lot of miles in all weathers

If you want 10 speed, Tiagra might be an improvement but it's unlikely to be very economical as you'll still need a full groupset at around £300

You might find some new wheels as well as tyres offer an improvement and will be cheaper than a groupset change

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
i suspect most cyclists, myself included, have been there, the desire to upgrade etc etc.

i also suspect most of us weighed up the pros and cons...and the cost, and decided it wasnt worth the tiny improvements you'd get.

As an often used comparison, my old 8 speed Sora equipped Raleigh Chimera against my much later carbon Veloce equipped bike, while the experience is different, ride times (or more specifically average speed) never really changed at all. Better shifting, more ratios to allow you to keep a specific cadence are more achievable with higher end groupsets, no doubt....but the cost vs the outcome don't really add up IME.
But then its an entirely personal thing, if it would give you pleasure doing it, paying for it and the minor gains it might give you....and thats what YOU want, good on ya, seriously.

Tyres is where some of the best gains for cost are to be made.

In my humble opinion, peak Shimano was reached with 8 speed. You have enough gears for any application and the technology works well on lower end components. The high end 11spd does not trickle down so easily to stamped steel rear cassettes.
The low/mid range Shimano groupsets work remarkably well.
The upgrades that work are tyres and brake blocks.

Upgrade by components is quite expensive. New bikes are probably an easier better value route.

You have a good, rideable bike. Dont worry about the gear count, just carry on enjoying the ride.

OP
OP
martin-g

martin-g

Regular
Thanks for the replies, I’m going to listen to your advice and leave it be, that’s how it was designed so I’m going to save the money and upgrade to an even better bike in the future! I’m also a keen fisherman and in the past I’ve been called a tackle tart, maybe it’s manifesting itself in my cycling as well!

Thanks again, Martin.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I wouldn't bother because of the cost. Shifters, in particular, are really expensive. Going to 10 speed (20 speed, if you like) may be possible with your existing mechs so you would just need a RH shifter and cassette. Generally, more speeds on a cassette are used to get slightly closer ratios rather than a bigger gear range. This is nice to have but not critical.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has @Yellow Saddle had a bump to the head ? :laugh: He is right though.

I'd think about changing all your cables as a starter. I've generally not 'upgraded bikes' if they are fine, but bought another bike. By all means upgrade parts as they wear, but if working OK, stick with it. A good set of cables (not the cheap stuff) will make a big difference to feel, and also keeping the drive chain clean.

Quality tyres also make a huge difference.

This is how you end up with N+1.

DRM

Guru
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, have a look at Planet X clearance section, there’s some real bargains to be had if you want to upgrade, I’m sure there was a 105 aluminium for £600 along with some mor exotic stuff around £1000 to £1200 mark

OP
OP
martin-g

martin-g

Regular
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, have a look at Planet X clearance section, there’s some real bargains to be had if you want to upgrade, I’m sure there was a 105 aluminium for £600 along with some mor exotic stuff around £1000 to £1200 mark
I’ve been looking on there believe me!!

If I came home with a new bike, not only would that be an expense, I’d also have a divorce to settle as well!! I’ll stick with mine for now, after all it gets a lot of compliments so it can’t be that bad

boydj

Legendary Member
YS has it spot on. Concentrate on getting time in the saddle and improving your skills and fitness.

Many a time I've succumbed to the 'I want/need' syndrome, spent time and money installing so-called upgrades and at the end of the day they make a barely noticeable difference.

If you have to spend money, upgrades should start with lighter tyres, then better and lighter wheels, which is where you'll actually notice a difference. Buy well and you'll then be able to swap these onto the new bike that you'll soon be buying, because you'll come to realise that you need a better frame to hang these better components on.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
If you have to spend money, upgrades should start with lighter tyres, then better and lighter wheels, which is where you'll actually notice a difference. Buy well and you'll then be able to swap these onto the new bike that you'll soon be buying, because you'll come to realise that you need a better frame to hang these better components on.

And so it goes on......

Levo-Lon

Guru
I’ve been looking on there believe me!!

If I came home with a new bike, not only would that be an expense, I’d also have a divorce to settle as well!! I’ll stick with mine for now, after all it gets a lot of compliments so it can’t be that bad

Well you will have freedom in spades..
A must know in cycling is "don't tell the wife" click and collect and delivery to work..
It's like fight club..

Top Bottom