Uphill struggle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dicycle

My gears have started slipping badly on way to work tonight- especially when I put extra pressure on, going up hill. I have had a look at the teeth on the middle sprocket wheel and they are very worn and uneven. Does anyone know roughly how much replacement would cost?

bonj2

£15 - £30 generally.
It needs to match your shifters in both make and number of speeds.
Probably also want to be replacing chain aswell, looking at £12-£15 for that.

bonj2

post what bike you've got and what gearing setup it's got and someone'll tell you what would be a suitable replacement cassette to get.

Zoiders

I dont think its your chain or sprockets, shimano sprockets are meant to look worn and uneven to the untrained eye, they profile the teeth to let the chain move up and down the gears more easily

I think the pawls will have failed in the rear screw on freehub, that means the working parts that let you freewheel

If they stick or break you can loose forward drive, its not a part you can see BTW

If you are having problems with the bike its because you have outgrown it as a cyclist, I would imagine that you are now racking up more miles than it was ever meant to do, time for an upgrade I think

Edit - Looking at your original post, by "middle sprocket" do you mean the middle ring at the front of your bike? the chain ring?

Because if you ride everywhere in the middle ring you will wear it out, you can tell this when the teeth on it are shaped like a sharks fin, after a while they get so rounded that the chain will just roll off the teeth under pressure

It will be one of these two problems, my last point is valid one though, and I must say well done for racking up the miles needed to kill a chainset!

OP
OP
D

Dicycle

I go everywhere on the same 3 or 4 gears so it has had a lot of wear. I can see a few chips and some of the teeth are sharply pointed and some very rounded.
I am a bit miffed that it is an expensive job to replace as I had a service and new saddle at Halfords 2 weeks ago which cost about £80. They did mention the wear but said it would be useable for a while longer. Probably would have been better to upgrade to a better bike instead.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£80 for a service - ouch..... Assuming it's a cassette hub, then about £15 for a set of sprockets (known as a cassette) and say £10-£15 for a good chain.

I'd either buy the tools - hyperglide lock ring, chain breaker/loiner and a chain whip, to change them, as it will probably be about the same price as the shop would charge you. - We walked a 'first-timer' through this process a few months back - he did it fine.

Where are you ?

heretic

Better to buy the tools and learn how to use them - it may be more expensive this time round, but it won't take long before you're in profit.

Top Bottom