Upright bike for a month, sw London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend is recovering from back surgery (recovery very well, running 5k in 32 minutes) but can't bend to ride her hybrid yet. She's frustrated having to drive to the gym to ride a stationary. So if anyone has a bike with a very upright riding position (eg classic Dutch) that's going unused that they could spare for a month or two, that they are prepared to lend to a stranger, let me know.

It doesn't have to be in great condition, just ridable.

Thanks

How tall?
5' 5ish

had coffee with said friend today. She was on the bike - it's proving painful, but she's trying to power through it.

It's a beautiful old thing, exactly what i was hoping someone had in their shed.

IMG_20160913_134342.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
had coffee with said friend today. She was on the bike - it's proving painful, but she's trying to power through it.

It's a beautiful old thing, exactly what i was hoping someone had in their shed.

View attachment 143827
Nice. A £8 saddle and £10 handlebars would bring that bike much back to its classic look and I suspect might be easier to control than it is with those MTB bars... or if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbsup:

Nice. A £8 saddle and £10 handlebars would bring that bike much back to its classic look and I suspect might be easier to control than it is with those MTB bars... or if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbsup:
If she makes the recovery she's hoping for, someone here can buy it off her and finish the restoration.

(though swept back handlebars might be worth it, making it a little more upright.

She's not making as much progress as she hoped, and her surgeon has told her that there's not much he can do for her: if something hurts, stop doing it. She stopped riding for a couple of days, and had much less pain. So cycling on the skip rescue wasn't doing her any favours.

That's the bad news. The good news is that she's pretty sure it's the weight of the bike, + the hub is frozen in top gear. So inspired by me sharing this link with her...
we have done this
Can't she just change to higher rise bars on the hybrid, only take an hour to swap em over.
Seems to have worked really well. Couldn't wipe the smile off her face (which I have cropped out, sorry)

IMG_20170203_134005-1.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
From the presence of the classic trigger shifter and them being known for "failing high", I guess that's A Sturmey Archer three speed. If so, if it's really stuck in high and not just got the gear cable set wrongly (look for the photo guide to setting a Raleigh twenty gear cable up - something like Warrington Cycles blogspot), then put plastic and paper on the floor, lie the bike down with the back wheel on that, disconnect the gear cable, remove any plastic axle cap, unscrew the shift rod and remove it, then flood the hole with wd 40. Leave for a bit, spinning the wheel occasionally, flooding it again if you think it's that stuck, depending on whether any crud is being washed out, then fill with oil, then reassemble the gear shifting Gubbins and see if it's unfrozen. My SA hub was rather dysfunctional until it had some crap washed out, but it's done many hundreds of km and I've still not dismantled it... which I probably ought... it's not like it can fail any harder than my Nexus did :blush:

Thanks @mjr

As you can, the month stretched out and this is now - sadly - the new normal. So she bit the bullet and has got her much loved Spesh modified to suit. So the seized bike is now surplus to requirements. If it ends up in my hands I will either attempt to unseize it and find it a new home or pass it on to a forum member who wants to put in the work.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom