Upsetting restaurant staff and then suffering the known or worse than that, the unknown consequences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Following on from the story of the quote "tiny cretin of a man" mouthing off over a 'ruined' omelettešŸ§, have any of you been on the receiving end of such verbal, even physical abuse, or been the one who's dished out such abuse, while either working in or eating in a restaurant, cafe, etc? šŸ¤”

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
if i was on the end of abuse like that i would just tell my supervisor and refuse to serve them

Looks like he is no different to the other known fake Ellen Degeneres. Does not care about colleagues, staff, service people and people in general plus all that fake empathy, sympathy, passion, lovey dovey stuff by the bucket load.

Iā€™ve been in a cafe which served my mam cold tea, then luke warm instead of hot soup and pancakes which were crispy instead of soft and fluffy and also cold.

Had to send everything back to be heated up properly. The chef wasnā€™t happy and was quite indignant about it but you would at least expect hot food and drink to be served to you. We asked politely and even apologised for making a fuss about it.

There is no excuse for going off on one, you can always be diplomatic and polite when there are issues.

if i was on the end of abuse like that i would just tell my supervisor and refuse to serve them

In the US, tips can go way past 50% of income on a regular basis at a high end restaurant. Its very hard to get in and once you are in you do not want to give it up. Their retention rate is one of the highest in comparison to other countries because of it.

As 15% is the minimum tip, customer disputes when they make a mistake or not up to scratch is not uncommon. Seen it a few times where customers pays the bill but not the tip.

There are college undergrads and post grads who work at these high end establishment who gave up on their courses as the income is just too lucrative.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I once had a man shot because he couldn't soft boil an egg properly.
I genuinely felt awful when someone explained he was the gardener bringing in what the bantams had laid that morning.

There is no excuse for going off on one, you can always be diplomatic and polite when there are issues.
Absolutely this.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
My belief in not giving tips clashes somewhat with my belief that staff should be paid a decent wage.

In this country I'd say tipping was discretionary although a modest amount should be expected. In the US though, you absolutely have to tip. It's not optional, it's part of the payment and how the staff earn their money.

AND, according to daughter#2 who has worked hospitality in US and Canada - wait staff are sometimes expected to tip-out to the other members of the team even if the customer does not tip ie not tipping actually cost the server money

My belief in not giving tips clashes somewhat with my belief that staff should be paid a decent wage.

They push the decent wage argument to the customer who tips out of sympathy. Cant think of a single country where tipping is mandatory as opposed to customary.

Reactions: C R

PK99

Legendary Member
In this country I'd say tipping was discretionary although a modest amount should be expected. In the US though, you absolutely have to tip. It's not optional, it's part of the payment and how the staff earn their money.

Some of the very best waiting service I have had anywhere has been in Canada, where the tipping culture is the same as the US - the tipping culture incentivizes interaction and good service.

winjim

Smash the cistern
They push the decent wage argument to the customer who tips out of sympathy. Cant think of a single country where tipping is mandatory as opposed to customary.

Well yeah it's not like there's legislation about or anything.

Top Bottom