Upvc door changes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
does anyone know if you can change the hinge orientation on a upvc front door? We have a very small porch and the door opens inwards, we'd like it to open outwards but not sure if this is possible without getting a new door and/or surround?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Wouldn't there be issues with the frame? I thought doors shut to the inside of a frame, for reasons of the lock, latch and minimizing draughts. So even if you changed the hinges or managed to alter the orientation of the existing hinges, wouldn't you still have the frame shut face to address?

Jotheboat

You'd have to turn the frame and door round as one piece I would have thought.
Not sure whether you'd need exterior hinges for the weather?
Also if it opens onto a public area you may need permission?

(sorry alicat you beat me to it)

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ah yes I hadn't thought about that. Access is not an issue as it would open out onto our driveway. I might get the door doctor to come anyway, needs a bit of adjustment because it's not sealing properly. I can maybe ask them when they come, but thinking about it we might need a new surround and hinges at the least.

Thanks all

My wife's old house had a patio door which the idiot builders just turned around to open the otehr way

when it rained the water just came in as the water protection was designed to be the other way round

in most - possibly all - cases you need a door that is designed to open the way you want

Last edited:
Top Bottom