Urgent Help Please!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

ok, so the cassette is finally off the wheel!!!

i wanting to put a 10spd 105 cassette on a campag vento, but it wont fit.

the vento wheel previously had 8spd sora on it!

i have been told it will fit, but the cassette is too "big" and i cant tighten the lockring back up!

help!!!

thanks

p.s. i have tried it without a spacer behind the cassette!

thanks!

RedBike

Sorry Steve23, In most cases it should of worked. I guess your Ventos must be so old they don't have a hyperglide freehub.

From Sheldon Brown
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html (Note the last point).

There is no interchangeability issue between "Road" vs "Mountain" cassettes and hubs as long as the number of sprockets matches. Also, hubs marked "8-speed, 9-speed or 10-speed will work with any number of sprockets! (Add a 4.5 mm spacer before installing a 7-speed cassette on an 8-, 9-, or 10-speed hub.)
Any Shimano Hyperglide cassette will fit any Shimano Hyperglide hub with the following exceptions:
  • 7-speed hubs only accept 7-speed cassettes.*
  • 2004-2006, 2007 Dura-Ace 7800 10 speed hubs only accept Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes.

OP
OP
S

steve23

haha fair enough, but it just wont fit!

does there HAVE to be a spacer behind the cassette?

steve23 said:
haha fair enough, but it just wont fit!

does there HAVE to be a spacer behind the cassette?
No, the spacer is just there to pack out the space (the clue is in the name :smile:). You only need one if the cassette is too short for the hub body.
Hmmmmm, so the 10sp cassette won't fit on account of being too long to allow the lockring to grip the hub, yes? If so, have you considered taking off the smallest sprocket and running the cassette as a 9spd?

OP
OP
S

steve23

could do chuffy. as it only going to be used as a tempory fix!

so just take the smallest one off and put the lockring back on as normal?

RedBike

Sorry i'm all out of ideas.

My only thought is Mavics huibs sometimes include a 2mm spacer to make them Shimano Compatible. The spacer that normally goes behind a 10speed cassette (on non mavic freehubs) is only about 1mm (or less) thick.

steve23 said:
could do chuffy. as it only going to be used as a tempory fix!

so just take the smallest one off and put the lockring back on as normal?
Yup. Just make sure the lockring properly engages against the cassette. You may need a spacer...:smile:

campagman

Guru
Did you have a spacer fitted between the largest sprocket and the spokes when using an 8 spd cassette? You won't need the spacer when using 10 spd, that is why you have not got enough space for the lockring.

Top Bottom