urgh..grumble grumble...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
I've got to fill out a tax return :sad:. How much of a faff is it to do online? Can't they just take my word that I've not earnt nearly enough to owe them anything :biggrin:

I recently registered self employed and need to do one for the part of the last financial year. I've got all my profit/loss figures...and can probably find my bank's interest earned type thing. It shouldn't take too long should it?

On the up side...I have until January 2011 to get motivated to do it :thumbsup:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I used to have to do one every freaking year for some reason - a couple of years ago the tax office (spit!) wrote and told me I wouldn't have to fill one out again - oh happy day!!!

Word of warning, don't leave it until the last minute. Oh and when you've filled it in (or out) make sure you keep a copy, make it much easier if you have to do another.

Ps - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
I used to have to do one every freaking year for some reason - a couple of years ago the tax office (spit!) wrote and told me I wouldn't have to fill one out again - oh happy day!!!

Word of warning, don't leave it until the last minute. Oh and when you've filled it in (or out) make sure you keep a copy, make it much easier if you have to do another.

Ps - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I knew I would have to do one. Have to phone them and fuss about NI too. I did some form so I don't have to pay it (low earnings ex.), but I've had a few bills since and they've ignored my letter with details that the guy on the phone said to send. Might do that now.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I knew I would have to do one. Have to phone them and fuss about NI too. I did some form so I don't have to pay it (low earnings ex.), but I've had a few bills since and they've ignored my letter with details that the guy on the phone said to send. Might do that now.

it's quite easy to do on line - once you have got your logon ID and password. You don't have to do it all on one go - you can do a bit, and it saves what you have done, and you can print the thing out before you submit or just save it to disc.

Davidc

Guru
Sorry Thomas - if you're registered as self employed you automatically have to fill one in. Applies even if you're only self employed for a part of your income. (Or so the tax office told me some years ago).

Make sure you read up on allowable expenses.

(Don't think that includes duck ponds, moat cleaning or heaps of manure any more)

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Sorry Thomas - if you're registered as self employed you automatically have to fill one in. Applies even if you're only self employed for a part of your income. (Or so the tax office told me some years ago).

Make sure you read up on allowable expenses.

(Don't think that includes duck ponds, moat cleaning or heaps of manure any more)

Yeah, home as office, etc....I need to add an 'extras' bit to my books, which is stuff I can reasonably declare, but doesn't really cost me anything.

oh, just phoned them...NI thing is fine, just letters being sent out before other things are processed so that's fiinneee. That's a £70 saving :biggrin:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You have to register first to file on-line.

Two problems.

The on-line forms can be very complicated for someone new to them - try getting some help or filling in the paper form which is slightly easier.

You are taxed on your profits which are earnings less business expenses and capital allowances - unless you are confident in this area I'd seek out a local accountant to do these workings - if you make a mistake and over-claim expenses or understate income and this persists for a number of years and HMRC find out you could be in line for a large tax bill.

siadwell

Guru

I got in a bit of a pickle with HMRC a couple of years ago.

I'm PAYE but did a lot of business mileage in one year, so my claims for relief crossed a threshold and triggered a demand that I fill in a full tax return. However, the tax return packs for that tax year had already been sent out so I never received one, missed the deadline and got fined. Like a pillock, I didn't do anything about it at the time, got a further fine before deciding to get the paperwork together and phone up.

The person on the other end of the phone was great. The upshot was that HMRC cancelled the fines and have not required me to fill in a tax return since.

So my advice would be to keep phoning until you get someone who can help you. If you have to post anything, make sure they give you the exact department/address to send it to. And don't put anything off until the last minute - it can take weeks to register to use the website anyway, so don't think you can leave it till the 11th hour!

slugonabike

Urg, I hate doing my tax return. I've been on PAYE for 35 years but now have to declare a bit of added income (or loss!). My on-line return is usually achieved with the aid of screaming, shouting and swearing but the cost of an accountant would be greater than the current income.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Urg, I hate doing my tax return. I've been on PAYE for 35 years but now have to declare a bit of added income (or loss!). My on-line return is usually achieved with the aid of screaming, shouting and swearing but the cost of an accountant would be greater than the current income.

haha. I think my Dad has done it all before so a bit of begging and whining might be in order :whistle:

You are taxed on your profits which are earnings less business expenses and capital allowances - unless you are confident in this area I'd seek out a local accountant to do these workings - if you make a mistake and over-claim expenses or understate income and this persists for a number of years and HMRC find out you could be in line for a large tax bill.

I did do (very badly) an accounting module at UNI, so i'm not great at the stuff...but I am reasonably organised with receipts, invoices and things. I think I just need to take a day and read through all the information on their website, which, etc.

...already saved myself £1.20 as I used my bicycle to deliver a work letter - woop!!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The on-line forms can be very complicated for someone new to them - try getting some help or filling in the paper form which is slightly easier.
I've found that on-line is easier, as you can just click the little ? icon instead of having to trawl through the book of instructions that comes with the paper form.

But he'd have to pay an accountant. If he isn't sure of something, he can phone up the help line - they have always been very helpful when I have phoned them.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
TBH, I'm not expecting to be earning over the £5000 and something limit, but if do will try and reduce it any way I can. Is there any benefit in trying to lower your earnings if you're not going to earn over the limit..or shall I just worry about that when I get a nice big corporate account.

I won't be doing any PAYE work.

Top Bottom