Urtica dioica! What are they all about then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Stinging Nettles to you and me.
When I was a kid out and about on the bike, or playing with my mates if I got stung by a stinging nettle, I would get little white welts or spots amd it would be a bit stingy. Me dad would rub a dock leaf on it and a bit if spit, or me nan would dab vinegar on the leg, or ya mate my say put a bit of piss on it, or some other witchcraft and the sting would go away amd that would be the end of it.

Today on my bike ride I got stung by some nettles, they looked like the nettles I remember from childhood, but I reckon they are some alien mutation hard core mutha fecka hybrid nettle. 1pm I got stung and over 10 hours later it's still stinging. What the actual feck is going on?

I'm gonna get napalm machine on my bike.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm gonna get napalm machine on my bike.

Do you want to borrow mine? A gallon of paraffin delivers a couple of hours of flames, frivolity, fun and scorched earth.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Did you try any of the old remedies?
Remember as well that weedkillers are used more now, rather than pulling them out.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Back when our ages were in single digits I was out on a bike ride with my sister. She had an exciting off that left her fine but her bike in a massive nettle patch. Being the man I retrieved it for her, but she then refused to touch the bike. She was convinced that it too now had the power to sting!
Simpler times....

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Roundup or any of its copies have glyphosate which works well but nettles take that we bit longer to discolour and die off.
Interesting fact, a cousin of the Cannabis Sativa family..

ASC1951

Guru
Stinging Nettles to you and me.
When I was a kid out and about on the bike, or playing with my mates if I got stung by a stinging nettle, I would get little white welts or spots amd it would be a bit stingy. Me dad would rub a dock leaf on it and a bit if spit, or me nan would dab vinegar on the leg, or ya mate my say put a bit of **** on it, or some other witchcraft and the sting would go away and that would be the end of it....
It's the rubbing of the affected area that matters, rather than anything in the dock leaf. And of course after five minutes a child's mind in on to the next thing anyway.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Allotment nettles are far stingier than common, or garden, nettles.

Fact.

Top Bottom