USA Southern Tier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave_vd

Hi guys,

I'm off to cycle the Southern Tier in November, from East to West.

I'll be using ACA maps, but won't be able to see one in the flesh until literally arriving in the States. So I wondered if anyone who has done it could help with a few questions:

Are bike shops fairly close by, or should I consider taking significant spares / tools?
Has anyone ever got across purely (or mainly) wild camping? What's access to subtle sites like? Do ACA maps help with locating any?
Is it likely that there'll be a lot of other cyclist doing the route at this time of year?

Cheers,
Dave

Long time reader first time poster, thanks for such a great resource.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi guys,

I'm off to cycle the Southern Tier in November, from East to West.

I'll be using ACA maps, but won't be able to see one in the flesh until literally arriving in the States. So I wondered if anyone who has done it could help with a few questions:

Are bike shops fairly close by, or should I consider taking significant spares / tools?
Has anyone ever got across purely (or mainly) wild camping? What's access to subtle sites like? Do ACA maps help with locating any?
Is it likely that there'll be a lot of other cyclist doing the route at this time of year?

Cheers,
Dave

Long time reader first time poster, thanks for such a great resource.

You might get more joy from using the ACA forums here

I'm hatching a plan to do a pond to pond ride sometime when I grow up and retire and apparently there are twitter feeds to update riders on the routes. Exploring the ACA forums might unearth some leads.

Yellow7

Über Member
Hi Dave.
I cycled Route 66 east to west in 2008. I can't help with the ACA questions as I was following (where possible) the old original alignment of 66 but as far as camping I found most towns had a campsite & if not would soon find someone willing to help & let me camp on their land, churches are good, ask the vicar. How about warmshowers.org?....you'll be spoilt for choice.

I never needed a bike shop, I only got one puncture...the last day in LA!, but if your bike is serviced before going you should be ok, most towns would have something, carry the basics though.

My perception of the US changed after cycling across it, you'll love i!!

Simon_m

Guru
I would take as much as you can as some of the shops may be closed. The maps, although good, can be out of date when it comes to services etc as we found out this year doing the TransAm. One of the hottest days in Kansas and the filling station where we were planning to stop and refuel etc, was closed! With 40miles to go in over 100degre heat. Luckily after a bit of looking, there was a church where I/we were able to refill our water bottles. The maps were hard to get used to, lots of missed turnings. Good luck and enjoy

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Hi Dave...

I rode the trans am this summer west to east using th eaca maps both paper and the free gpx tracks available on the aca site.

I cant comment on th esouthern tier as i havent done it but the aca maps in my opinion were great...lots of info and clear directions as well as info on camping/hostels etc.

There are some changes as Simon rightly said...the aca publish addenums which are important to take.

I rode unsupported and to answer you question about tools etc....take a good basic set of tools and be able to fix the basics. On the thransam the bike shops are few and far between...i would imagine that would be the case as well on th esouthern tier. The aca maps mark th ebike shops as well for you.

The aca maps do not mention wild camping ...but they do mark Campgrounds of america, RV parks, City park camping and private campgrounds. I met several riders riding across doing th eild camping almost exclusively, but if you are like me there will be times when you want to grab a motel and get civilized.

The heat in Kansas was extreme this year, the southern tier could be similar if not hotter I suspect in places (arizona??)

Getting fresh fruit and veg etc on the trans am was aproblem....it doesnt really go into th ebig cities so much of the food is from gas station stores....processed junk.

anyway...let me know if i can help any.

Top Bottom