USB charger linked to Dynamo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

format

Über Member
So I'm looking for some gear to fit to my bike for an upcoming trip.

Basically what I want is to have my phone mounted to my bars (shouldn't be too much hassle) and then to have a USB charging cable plugged in to that which is in turn connected to a dynamo next to my wheel.

The idea is to have my phone running a GPS/maps style app on my bars, and to not have to worry about running out of battery. It also means I'll have a convenient method of charging my phone whilst on the road.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

stumpy66

Veteran
Sjs cycles have a range of options, never used them tho. I use a rechargeable battery pack from amazon, onle needed topped up once during a weeks tour, charging phone and gps, this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightning-S...lid=1O8LMGAYYCDYD&coliid=I1KYFZ587H9K8Q&psc=1

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
wow! this gave me an idear. how about we conect our turbo trainers to the grid via a genarator , can we sell the units genorated to the nationalgrid, as in feed back like the solar panels do? then we can train and earn on dark winter eves? (tounge in cheek guys) but someone do the maths? what could we expect to earn?

OP
OP
F

format

Über Member
Sjs cycles have a range of options, never used them tho. I use a rechargeable battery pack from amazon, onle needed topped up once during a weeks tour, charging phone and gps, this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightning-S...lid=1O8LMGAYYCDYD&coliid=I1KYFZ587H9K8Q&psc=1

The Anker thing looks promising. Just not entirely sure that it'll be enough though, considering I'd have GPS and 3G running the entire time.

That's actually just prompted some ponderings from me regarding whether using my phone is the best of ideas - in areas with no 3g coverage, will GPS apps work very well?

[QUOTE 2291607, member: 45"]I've got a dynamo hubbed front wheel for sale in classifieds on here.[/quote]

Sadly I can't really afford anything like that :sad:

DrLex

merely the moocher
Any good at soldering? There are plans available on the internet to make a small USB charger for about a tenner's worth of components.

stumpy66

Veteran
The Anker thing looks promising. Just not entirely sure that it'll be enough though, considering I'd have GPS and 3G running the entire time.

That's actually just prompted some ponderings from me regarding whether using my phone is the best of ideas - in areas with no 3g coverage, will GPS apps work very well?
I found thta it greatly saved my phone battery where the signal was poor and i put the phone into airplane mode

Sadly I can't really afford anything like that :sad:

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Try this site

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products

I have their iPhone case and bar mount and its great, haven't tried the reecharge hub but if its like the case the quality should be good, the hub has a USB charge socket.

You can buy online but some uk bike shops supply also.

Top Bottom