Used bike condition advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fischflosse

Hi everyone,

Apologies for posting another question in here; my previous buying plans fell through due to new bikes flying off the shelves and going out of stock.

I've been looking out to buy a used bike instead; specifically looking for a gravel bike or similar now. Found a Giant AnyRoad 1 closeby which would be great, however I met the seller, tried it in person and have concerns about its condition.

https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/XxmTfTC3ZABBQM5b/giant-anyroad-1-gravel-bike-size-small-sora

As you can see from the photos in the advert and from the attached close-up, it's scratched up, to the point where you can see the aluminium underneath the paint job. I've read that damage to the frame is potentially serious, but I'm not sure if _this_ level of damage would be considered cosmetic, or looks bad enough to be concerning. The owner bought it second-hand like this, and says he's commuted in it short-distance for a couple of months with no issues.

A second potential issue was metallic clanking coming from the crankset when pedalling or pressing down hard on the pedals. No issues shifting up or down though. The owner says someone's seen it and advised it was the bottom bracket and an easy fix. Not sure if that could be an additional area of concern though, given the condition of the frame.

What do people think? Are these issues something you'd worry about and walk away, or are they minor?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 15.53.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 15.53.54.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 2

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The damage looks cosmetic - in so far as it's possible to tell from photos on a computer.

Clanking from the pedal area could be a worn bottom bracket, and the owner is correct that it should be a relatively cheap and easy fix.

Despite this, at one time the advice would have been there's probably better to be had elsewhere.

However, the virus does appear to have shifted the second hand market in favour of the seller, so you may have to accept some compromises whatever you buy.

It may depend how urgent your need is for a bike.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The scratch would bother me personally but it looks cosmetic; only were it a CFRP frame would I walk away on safety grounds.

Not sure what the bike retailed for new but given the uncertainty, inconvenience and parts cost of sorting the pedal noise I'd suggest the price is a bit optimistic..

Also FWIW the bike appears to be incorrectly advertised as a "1" (the higher-end model) when in fact it appears to be a "2".

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fischflosse

Thank you everyone!

Given the shortage, I'm happy to stretch my budget. I've been looking at bikes up to the £1,000 mark. I don't need a bike urgently, but I don't expect stores to start re-stocking properly until year end, and I'd really like to get back on a bike soon (my former bike was stolen pre-covid).

My main requirements are that it feels nice and light like a road bike, but gives me some flexibility to try some light off-roading. It would be mixed use: part commute (short and urban only) and part leisure/fitness (weekend rides, 30-60km or so), with some nice low gears to help me up hills. Preferably a more relaxed, upright posture than my former road bike as well; I'm looking for enjoyment & fitness, not performance per se.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Malt is probably a bit heavy and gnarly then if you really want a road bike.
how do you define light off roading? What sort of terrain?
what was your previous road bike?

OP
OP
F

fischflosse

My old road bike was a Cube Axial WLS 2016. I loved it for how light and fast it was, but I struggled on my commute (no pannier, and I felt very stretched out, hard to reach the breaks etc - though tbh i think my bike was too big for me at 56cm for my 172cm). I could also have used a lower gear or two for hills.

Light off-roading - I'm thinking bridleways and gravel roads. Basically just looking to get away from traffic sometimes.

vickster

Legendary Member
A gravel bike would be a sensible option, but won't be as light as the roadbike for under £1k (as it'll have disc brakes, heavier tyres and wheels etc)...adding panniers will make a bike heavier also

The Cube already had plenty of gears for hills with 50-34 and 11-32 cassette. :okay: You could maybe go to 11-34 or 36 with the right derailleur

Top Bottom