Used Boardman Hyb 8.9 E - battery issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newebiker

There was an excellent deal on this bike recently new with Halfords but unfortunately I was too slow to act and I've missed out :sad:

Instead I've found a used one on my local Facebook. The owner has all the paperwork and agreed I can get it checked over by our local mechanic.

The issue is that the bike is from 2022 and it's been left at least a year without charging; she told me without realising what that meant, I suspect.

So what will the likely situation be with the battery? Will it be usable at all? How can I assess it? I know it won't be perfect, but I need it for shopping with a trailer, about 3 miles each way but obviously one way I would be heavily loaded and slightly uphill! The point is I don't need it for 30 mile journeys, though that would have been nice.

I also looked for replacement batteries and Halfords say they don't have them. I was thinking I could factor in the price of a new battery and make an offer, but not if they're not available. Are Halfords likely to offer them again? It seems crazy if not for such an investment.

Finally, if the bike is from 2022, is it likely to have the battery removal issue I've read about? Or was that solved by then?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi, and welcome!

I'm afraid I don't have anything very helpful to say, but what a terrible state of affairs when a little used item may be worthless and useless less than two years from being sold!

Have you contacted Halford's head office about replacement batteries?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Thanks for the welcome. I've contacted their web chat and was informed they're just not available.

Why's that, sorry?

Have a think...
Just buy one that's working properly to begin with and there's no issues with any of it.
If Halfords cant help you then people on here wont be able to help you with the battery issue. Sorry.

Last edited:
I saw something that might - or might not - be the right battery on Bike24 for about 500 Euro

which is a lot

I would check around - maybe contact Boardman directly - and see if there is a diagnostic thingy that will show the battery health
I know there is one for Bosch - but that is Bosch and they are weird

but it might be possible

the only other way I aware of if to fully charge it and ride it until it dies - hope fully close to home!!!

There are sites that tell you how to check amount of charge using a multimeter. This works witrh our folder as it is very basic
Doesn't work on the Bosch on my Raleigh - Bosch insist on 19 way security checks from every damn bit fo the bike before it will allow the battery to supply any charge
Dunno which route the Boardman follows - but might be worth checking

anyway - good luck - I'll stop woffling now!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There was an excellent deal on this bike recently new with Halfords but unfortunately I was too slow to act and I've missed out :sad:

Instead I've found a used one on my local Facebook. The owner has all the paperwork and agreed I can get it checked over by our local mechanic.

The issue is that the bike is from 2022 and it's been left at least a year without charging; she told me without realising what that meant, I suspect.

So what will the likely situation be with the battery? Will it be usable at all? How can I assess it? I know it won't be perfect, but I need it for shopping with a trailer, about 3 miles each way but obviously one way I would be heavily loaded and slightly uphill! The point is I don't need it for 30 mile journeys, though that would have been nice.

I also looked for replacement batteries and Halfords say they don't have them. I was thinking I could factor in the price of a new battery and make an offer, but not if they're not available. Are Halfords likely to offer them again? It seems crazy if not for such an investment.

Finally, if the bike is from 2022, is it likely to have the battery removal issue I've read about? Or was that solved by then?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

You didn’t say if there is a fault with the bike only that it hasn’t been charged up for 12 months.
Has the owner tried to charge it up?

You didn’t say if there is a fault with the bike only that it hasn’t been charged up for 12 months.
Has the owner tried to charge it up?

Good point - if it won't charge then you have your answer

If it charges in 30 minutes it is useless
if it takes 4 hours it is probably OK - maybe

OP
OP
N

newebiker

Apparently the owner hasn't used the app, would it be possible/feasible for me to download the app and check out the battery myself when viewing?

Apparently the owner hasn't used the app, would it be possible/feasible for me to download the app and check out the battery myself when viewing?

Does it work OK - the app I mean
It would be good if it will

you may need to get the owners permission to try plugging a USB (or whatever) cable into the battery

richtea

Difficult to say. If the owner left it charged then it may well be OK after a year. If they left it completely flat, then you may have issues because the battery might be depleted below what it can recover from. Leaving it a freezing shed for 2-3 months may not help either, for example - that would speed up depletion. Why not email Fazua and ask? They have replied to my questions before.

But I wouldn't buy it without some sort of proof of battery state, and I would expect a dealer would have such tools, but I would also expect them to ask for a bit of money to run that diagonsis. Better to lose, say, £25 on a diagnosis test than £500 on a new battery.

https://fazua.com/en/support/help-center/toolbox-software/toolbox-software-execute-diagnosis-report/

Top Bottom