Used cardboard bike boxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hey there.
I popped in to a high-street bike shop last night to pick up a few bits and while paying I'd thought I would ask about the old bike boxes. (Basically got a friend coming over the US with his bike and wants another box to take it back in, he could just use the one he comes over with, but he wanted to know just in case).

So I ask the young kid about the possibility of picking up one of the boxes if need be. I couldn't believe it when he said it would be £30! £30!!!!!!!!!! for a piece of flat rectangular cardboard which isn't special in anyway such as having padding on "soft spots". I suggested he was joking or taking the piss. His response was that the bike companies charge the shop £30 for the cardboard shipping box. I said something along the lines of don't be so stupid then rode off.

Now, am I the stupid one and companies DO charge bike shops £30 for this piece of flat cardboard?!!? My thinking is that this is absurd and so unlikely. More likely is that these bike shops are cashing in. I know this company is a rip but still. Going to pop to my LBS to see what they say. Failing that, I will go to Tesco, pick up a selection of apple boxes and custom make a bike box with proper padding etc - if the guy needs one. Anyone got experience of getting old boxes from shops?

jay clock

Massive member
Done it about 10 times and NEVER had a problem. Name and shame?

I have even had them get a bike out specially so I can have a box

Also. Not sure if this helps but a friend was here yesterday http://www.cyclesurgery.com/store-spitalfields/content/fcp-content and they offer a packing service for £30....I assume that includes a box

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Wow amazing service. I popped in to Evans for some clean bottles as no matter how many times I dishwashed, poured boiling water or used denture tablets on them, the old tops were still black.

So yes Evans Cycles wanted to charge me £30 for the box because, and I quote, they have to pay for teh box themselves as the companies charge them for the boxes. Glad I wasn't loosing my marbles and was right to scoff at this spotty young kid. He didn't look at me in the eyes while spinning this yarn, but down at the till. Guess it is another way to make money. Thanks Jay.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I've lost count of the times I've been given a cardboard box for free.

In Patagonia there aren't any (cos bike shops there don't sell bikes cos no one has any money) so I and others nicked cardboard from the supermarket and used clingfilm and parcel tape to fashion a box. This might be an option for you, in extremis.

Now, in Europe, I prefer to fly using transparent strong plastic, bought from a homeware store. This is also an option.

That 12-year old in Evans was talking bollocks. I bet his manager would have been delighted to get ride of a box: the shops have to pay for their rubbish to be taken away and you would have saved them money.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No company gets charged for the cardboard box, it's how the bike is shipped. I've seen the state of some of the boxes coming out of the van at Evans at Manchester Velodrome, and I wouldn't want a bike in them... Very obvious when sat in the cafe at the drome.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think Evans may use a special box for inter-company transfers of built up bikes (moving a display bike from one store to another), the lad could have been talking about one of these, but I would imagine that would be more like £300 than £30 and probably not allowed to be sold. If he truly meant a box that came from the bike manufacturer then he was taking the piss. I could see saying no to someone who had not bought anything, but to someone making a purchase it is just greed.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Waterloo The Cut branch.

Thanks for the info. I didn't need the box there and then and asked about the possibility in July. Thanks for letting me know guys. I thought I was right but things change quickly. Best I post the question on here from experienced and update to date facts. Glad I didn't fall for his BS and made it clear I thought he was talking rubbish. Probably did think he could make a few quid, (just remembered...) then suggested my mate should buy a proper bike bag. That was probably his thinking, that the company could make money that way. Who knows. I don't shop there unless I really have to because it is last minute and wiggle/pbk etc etc wont deliver in time.

Top Bottom