Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone

I am just getting back to cycling and looking to get fit after COVID due to gaining a few pounds :-)

I will be commuting 6 miles round trip daily in London and my budget is £200-500. I prefer a hybrid and like a comfortable ride, but don't mind a road bike with drop bars. Shall i .....

1) Buy a New bike that has warranty from decathlon, Halfords etc
2) Buy a used bike from gumtree ebay etc might be better quality parts etc from a name brand

I have found the following 2 bikes online

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/coyote/origin-hybrid-bike-933060

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ke-2020---black---s-m-l-xl-frames-346198.html

Can someone give me some advice? Especially if i go down the used route, how to make sure i am not buying a stolen rusty bike as i am not an expert, maybe link me to checklist of what to look form when meeting up with the gumtree seller? Any brands, quality to look for etc

Hope someone can help

Cheers
londoncylist007

Deeble

Regular
I'm in the same boat. As some may have seen i had a mechanical nightmare and I'm now on the hunt for a new bike. Like London cyclist I don't know if I'm best going brand new but entry level or second hand.

The bikes that I'm looking at are the Evans Pinnacle Laterite for £400, the carrera vanquish disk at £450 or a second hand used Bergamont Carbon bike for £500. What would anybody recommend?

Another option i have is a repair job, new frame and new derailleur then transferring all the other parts. Not sure how much that will cost.

Deeble

Regular
I think its a Bergamont Dolce Ltd 2013 but not 100% sure I can find out, I know the seller.

I have all the other parts from a 2011 Basso Devil. I have a thread in the mechanical section showing which parts are damaged.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-devil-xenon-2011

The specs are here.

Its a tricky one. Am I getting a better bike second hand at these prices? Probably. Do I feel 100% confident buying second hand? Probably not.
Prices are high new and used right now, your budget would barely buy a new frameset. And your mech has been discontinued and looks to be out of stock everywhere (you might get one on eBay)
Are the Pinnacle and Carrera available in your size? Can you try them?

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m not sure a 15kg Subway is a replacement for @Deeble road bike?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Is there a community cycle project near you?

They can be a good way to get a guaranteed used bike.

Alternatively you could buy a decent looking £250 used bike and budget £100 for a local bike shop to give it a thorough service.

I'm afraid buying a new budget bike can be a gamble too.

Not easy, good luck!

Deeble

Regular
I was replying to the original poster, seems his thread has been hijacked..

Yep sorry but in my defence I thought the topics were linked. Either way I've reignited the thread.

I've found out it's a Bergemont 10.3 and been to view it. Its in fabulous condition and has had a fair few upgrades too. I think it has answered my question of new vs used at same price point... and I think I'd be mad to go for an entry level carrera over this. I'm getting way more bike for my money.

My last remaining question is do I repair my basso or go for this? As you say prices are high at the minute. I'd need a new derailleur and chain at the very least as well as a frame. What else id need i don't know and there may be a nasty surprise. Then I'd need to wait for the bike shops to open and be able to fit me in for basically a new bike build. How much would that cost? I'm swinging towards the second hand bike. But if I didn't know the seller then I'd be much more wary of buying an unknown.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep sorry but in my defence I thought the topics were linked. Either way I've reignited the thread.

I've found out it's a Bergemont 10.3 and been to view it. Its in fabulous condition and has had a fair few upgrades too. I think it has answered my question of new vs used at same price point... and I think I'd be mad to go for an entry level carrera over this. I'm getting way more bike for my money.

My last remaining question is do I repair my basso or go for this? As you say prices are high at the minute. I'd need a new derailleur and chain at the very least as well as a frame. What else id need i don't know and there may be a nasty surprise. Then I'd need to wait for the bike shops to open and be able to fit me in for basically a new bike build. How much would that cost? I'm swinging towards the second hand bike. But if I didn't know the seller then I'd be much more wary of buying an unknown.
I wouldn’t bother repairing a broken frame. Sell the good parts to go towards new bike. You could strip the frame yourself with a few basic tools.
Whereabouts are you? A strip of old bike and rebuild to a new frame will likely cost £100 if not more (especially if you’re in the SE)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Secondhand every time because it's way better value, and never used carbon because you don't know it's crash history.
You can't totally avoid the risk of buying stolen used bikes, but you can minimise it a lot. If you are buying from somewhere like eBay, look at what else the seller is selling, how long they have been on eBay, and what their feedback is like. It's a good habit to get into when buying anything on eBay. Most sellers are 100% genuine punters just looking to shift something and make a few quid, and the traders and the iffy characters who might be selling bent gear tend to stand out. Because bikes are awkward to ship, and are sometimes sold in questionable condition, my rule is I always collect from the seller and I nearly always pay cash. That way you can walk with your money in your pocket if the item doesn't match the seller's description. I have never had to do it so far, the bikes I have bought have always been honestly decribed - good ones and rough hacks alike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom