Used recommendation: Planet X vs Trek Madone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcs2000

Regular
So here is a question for the Pro's. I am looking for a good road bike and I have 2 used options to purchase:
1) Private seller: 2018 Planet X full carbon with full Ultegra groupset, used for c.500 miles and well looked after (1 owner)
2) Bike shop: Refurbished 2014 Trek Madone 4.5 Carbon, 105 groupset with new chainset but used Shimano noname Crank and used Shimano noname breaks.
Which one would you recommend?

I'd go for the PX. Newer. Higher groupset and surely less mileage ?

Although I might be biased as I have several PX bikes and they've all performed really well.

OP
OP
M

marcs2000

Regular
I was thinking the same although the Madone looks a lot better.
Once I have the bike I shall report back :smile:
Thank you all

si_c

Guru
The Madone might look nicer, but keep in mind, it's the "old" Madone, so will have limited tyre clearance. You don't state which 105 series groupset it is, but I'm assuming the Ultegra is R8000, so that's another bit + in the PX column.

All other things being equal I'd have gone for the Trek, but they aren't.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've a Planet X Pro-Carbon (the version without the dropped seat stays of the current model) and it's a very comfortable bike. The biggest problem is the lack of clearance for anything bigger than 25mm tyres. If they were similarly priced, I'd have the Planet X any day.

OP
OP
M

marcs2000

Regular
OK. I took the Planet -X and it rides like an arrow. Super light and responsive. The Ultegra is R8000 and smooth as 50 year old whiskey...The frame is an L but feels smaller than other L frames I rode (Giant Advanced, Canyon Endurace). But its not a problem for me.
Overall I am very happy with the used PX purchase.
To be fair, my comparison between PX and Trek Modane 4.5 is not fair). Its like comparing a 2018 Porsche Boxter with a 1999 Jaguar XKR. Both are great and drive well but in a different way.

Top Bottom