Useless Tire Irons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Got my 1st p**ct**e in ages yesterday. Farmer had been trimming the hedges and the thorns were all over the road. Hadn't bothered to clean them up. Yes, Hopetoun Estates, I do mean you :wacko:

Anyway, had a spare tube and a set of tire irons with me so I thought it would be no problem.

No way could I get the tire off with the useless wimpy bendy plastic set I had. I had never used them before and had bought them from a good LBS so I just assumed that they would be OK. They weren't. Had to walk 4 miles back to the house.

Once back at home I used a set of Edinburgh Bike Co-ops own brand. No problems at all. Tire came off in a minute. Good sturdy, non-bendy tire irons.

The moral of the story is......test out your tire irons at home before you need to use them for real

ASC1951

Guru
Halfmanhalfbike said:
No way could I get the tire off with the useless wimpy bendy plastic set I had.

Once back at home I used a set of Edinburgh Bike Co-ops own brand. No problems at all. Tire came off in a minute. Good sturdy, non-bendy tire irons.
I'm puzzled. I can't see any own brand levers on ECC's site, although they do have the Park Tools set at £2.99 for 3.

There is nothing wrong with plastic levers as such and they don't damage your rims.

bauldbairn

lazyfatgit said:
they do revolution steel core ones with plastic outside.

Yeah! I've got a set of those - very good. :sad:

Two of them wore through to the metal insides recently after two years and I've just replaced them with; 3 X blue plastic Park Tool TL-1, 2 X GIYO Mixed Plastic levers and 1 Icetoolz Downhill(carbon/alloy rim) lever(because I was ordering stuff from CRC).
I'll still carry my EBC Revolution levers and will pick up some new ones next time I'm through in Embra. :ohmy:

Top Bottom