Useless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its like going to MacDonalds one day and being served a Five Guys burger and the next day they serve up a badly cooked budget burger. The key to their success is not the quality of the food, it is the consistency of what they deliver..

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Its like going to MacDonalds one day and being served a Five Guys burger and the next day they serve up a badly cooked budget burger. The key to their success is not the quality of the food, it is the consistency of what they deliver..

Success in the low margin, budget price business model of any service is exactly the same; deliver the expected product/service to a consistently acceptable standard, irrespective of geographical location. That way your customers will always seek out your business first when in a strange area. You don't have to be the absolute best, but you need to be predictable and consistent. Halfords seems to fail dismally at this, there is a huge variation in standards between branches, and even between different staff in the same branch.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Eveeyone I have been in feels like it is on its last legs and in need of more lighting and a revamp, never tried service as I am diy.

I have a cycle republic near me big, nicely decorated, weird mix of bikes. Service area looks good. Empty everytime I have been in so cannot see this concept working for them either.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Eveeyone I have been in feels like it is on its last legs and in need of more lighting and a revamp, never tried service as I am diy.

I have a cycle republic near me big, nicely decorated, weird mix of bikes. Service area looks good. Empty everytime I have been in so cannot see this concept working for them either.

I went in the local Cycle Republic the other week, largely to kill a bit of time (but we all know how dangerous that can be...).
Anyway, I had the place to myself and was outnumbered 4 to 1 by the staff.

But that was still better than the nearby Evans where the staff all stand around the till chatting amongst themselves and don't like being disturbed.

The problem with halfrauds is they vary wildly. Horwich is awful, Manchester Road are mean and argue the toss over BC discount. Bury are the best of the bunch and a couple of the cycling team actually ride and I've seem them out and about a few times. The girl who fills in admits she knows not a lot accepts your guidance and invites you behind the counter to chose from the sram/Shimano rack.
Rochdale have helped me out with a free puncture fix when I was stranded so can't call them!

If in Horwich the Green Machine is the only option! Even if John is just as miserable now as he was 25yrs ago.

I have got a few parts from the Bury Halfords, but have never used the Bolton ones. Bury one seems ok, but I generally know what I want from them.
I work in the unit next to MK cycles in Belmont. They do not sell many bikes any more, they cannot compete with the buying power of the bigger companies and stuff online, so they do repairs and have a good cafe now, although they are only open Tuesday through to Saturday.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I think they dug their own grave there. I used to use MK Cycles years and years ago. Bought many a bike from them.
They were located in a fair sized shop on a main road in a big town then they moved to a small village on an industrial estate away from the general population. Not the brightest idea I'd have thought.

Tom B

Guru
I think they dug their own grave there. I used to use MK Cycles years and years ago. Bought many a bike from them.
They were located in a fair sized shop on a main road in a big town then they moved to a small village on an industrial estate away from the general population. Not the brightest idea I'd have thought.

Agreed but Ryan was hellbent on movingly reduce the rent and to have a coffee shop..

The missus was on Facebook a few weeks back trying to drum up some business I suspected all wasn't well then.

I used to pop in MK Cycles regularly and bought three bikes from them but Ive never been to the new place. I just don't go to Belmont for anything. You could drive past without knowing MK was there. Its certainly not obvious when passing on the main road or on Egerton Road .

At the time they was moving the Drop Off Cafe was getting going at Edenfield. There was a big empty shop unit infront of that which would have been perfect. (not sure if it was available as I think Colin from the drop offs daughter tried running it as a tat shop for a while)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not out to defend Halfords as TBH they are always my last to go for if needing something, but they are useful for the occasionally car part on a Sunday afternoon. But look at the range they sell, there is no way anyone can know everything about every single item, they have to cover each department, would you know if a GEX7251 was suitable for a 1963 Riley Elf?

Top Bottom