User requirements to a cycling water bottle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A water bottle that leaks is of absolutely no use whatsoever. Designing a non-leaking waterbottle is a minimum requirement.
It's funny you should say that. Until remarkably recently I was using a pair of ancient Coca-Cola branded bottles with very leaky tops. This is from April 2016:

They were absolutely useless for some purposes, such as hiking where most of the liquid would end up outside the bottles, but on the bike they were fine.

I still miss the bike. :sad:

Tom B

Guru
It's funny you should say that. Until remarkably recently I was using a pair of ancient Coca-Cola branded bottles with very leaky tops. This is from April 2016:

View attachment 497337

They were absolutely useless for some purposes, such as hiking where most of the liquid would end up outside the bottles.

Saw this thread and immediately thought of my Coca-Cola and Fanta bottle probably form the Milk Race Era in the 80s90s that still see occasional service.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
The camelbak water bottle has you covered. They are great with non drip lids, adjustable flow and no need to use your teeth. Bit more expensive but I wouldn't use a standard bottle now.

+1 Only use Camelbak Podium bottles now. The original ones were prone to collecting muck in the nozzle if you went off-road but the new ones with a nozzle cover are hard to fault. If I was being picky I've got to say I'm a bit put off by the disgusting slurpping sound they make when air rushes into them after you've taken a swig.

12boy

Guru
I do not like plastic water bottles, either bought full of water or refilled by me. I don't like a plastic taste and puting lip to spout doesn't seem too good, especially when riding in mucky conditions. I do like the double walled stainless steel ones even though mine have a screw on cap instead of a flip up spout. I don't mind stopping for a moment to unscrew the top and have a drink and have to stop at times for a light or a whiz anyway. When the temps are raw, I really enjoy having a hot drink, even if only water, and my bottles keep it that way all day. My bottle cap goes in the washer, but the bottle does not. I ride for exercise, and Zen ( probably endorphins TBH) and a little extra weight don't chap my bottom none.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The main requirement for a Moulton water bottle is that it be very thin. Otherwise it occupies the same space as my knees!

Top Bottom