Users in South Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just curious to know if anyone here uses a fixed gear or single speed bike in South Yorkshire.

I don't have one, and don't think I could manage with one as I live in a rather hilly area, but I have seen several people with them in Sheffield city centre, and saw someone with a Genesis Flyer in Barnsley a few weeks ago.

Goldie

Über Member
Just curious to know if anyone here uses a fixed gear or single speed bike in South Yorkshire.

I don't have one, and don't think I could manage with one as I live in a rather hilly area, but I have seen several people with them in Sheffield city centre, and saw someone with a Genesis Flyer in Barnsley a few weeks ago.

My dad's response to the fixed gear craze (he lives in Halfway) was "It's alright for bl**dy Londoners but you need bl**dy gears round here, and lots of 'em!"

I'd take my hat off to anyone that tackles Sheffield's various monster inclines without a whole load of big cogs to fall back on...

davim19

My dad's response to the fixed gear craze (he lives in Halfway) was "It's alright for bl**dy Londoners but you need bl**dy gears round here, and lots of 'em!"

I'd take my hat off to anyone that tackles Sheffield's various monster inclines without a whole load of big cogs to fall back on...

I'm one Of Sheffield's s/s riders, it's not too bad as you always have the chance to rest on one of the downhills. I regularly take in Barnsley Road and Duke Street on my commute and find them not too bad so long as you keep your legs moving. I've even managed Rutland Road with a fair bit of effort.

I used to ride round Sheffield, living in Walkley, Crookesmoor & later Shiregreen. I appreciated having gears, even though I only had a 5-speed.

The club riders back then (mid-80s) would ride fixed in the winter. I was intrigued but baffled. They must have been hard as nails.

Goldie

Über Member
I'm one Of Sheffield's s/s riders, it's not too bad as you always have the chance to rest on one of the downhills. I regularly take in Barnsley Road and Duke Street on my commute and find them not too bad so long as you keep your legs moving. I've even managed Rutland Road with a fair bit of effort.

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! That's making my legs feel wrong just thinking about it. I live in Manc now which is - by and large - flat as you like. I do really miss bombing effortlessly down Sheffield's hills though. What bike do you ride?

SoloRider

Über Member
I do! Just building a new one up based around a Basso Viper. Trick is to avoid anything vertical, up or down. There are lots of rolling hills around Penistone which are ideal for fixed. Getting out to Huddersfield it gets tricky and Halifax is just plain nuts in places. Once did a club run down to Ladybower then Hathersage and back on fixed. The only problems were long, fast downhills where the geared riders swooped away and I was left pedalling like a hamster in a wheel. So it's not perfect, but great for training and solo rides.

Top Bottom