Using an iPad while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
iPad & Smartphone use whilst driving is now extremely common. When I ride past a queue of traffic, I can confidently predict that 1 in 3 drivers will be fiddling with a device held between their legs.

Leave it @Fnaar

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
iPad & Smartphone use whilst driving is now extremely common. When I ride past a queue of traffic, I can confidently predict that 1 in 3 drivers will be fiddling with a device held between their legs.

Leave it @Fnaar

yes I see it,quite common..A phone that is.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

You are, of course, correct. I know a chap who is a cabbie and he is lovely.

My hackles get raised when I see such stupidity on a taxi forum, but I am assuming that all the cabbies who would be appalled at such an attitude stay away from such sites.

I have, on occasion, been the subject of some anti-social behaviour by cab drivers. Normally buzzing past far too close when the lane next is free or the standard hang off the back wheel in the bus lane trick.

The problem (as Reg knows better than me) is that, in my opinion, the people who "regulate" cabbies and deal with complaints are loath to do anything especially if the complainant isn't a passenger. Complaints on the forum are dealt with a throw-it-in-the-bin mentality, which may be bravado but may also point to the toothless nature of the investigations. So it may that your cabbie with an ipad fixation isn't likely to throw away his livelihood because it is vanishingly unlikely anyone will do anything about it.

You're probably right, sadly :sad:

I remember making a complain to the PCO about a cabby about 18 months ago and they said that they don't deal with anything unless they've broken their Hackney Carriage regulations (the guy totally cut me up by doing a left turn across me as I was cycling straight on down Whitehall, goes without saying that he hadn't indicated). I'm guessing dangerous driving isn't covered in their regulations.

Anyway, made a complaint about a private hire car (another cut up but to someone else, not me) to Roadsafe and they said they couldn't deal with it and that they'd pass it on to TFL - never heard anything further.

So, looks like taxi's and private hire cars can basically drive how they like with no come-back - and they probably know this, which makes them even more careless.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL! Cunobelin, that amazes me! To be honest though, the iPad is a fine GPS/map setup. The size makes it totally awesome for navigation, actually better than a paper map IMO.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
What?

Why would you ... what?

Why would you need something so massive and vision blocking to check your location at all times, and aren't you worried about it falling off?

Got to be a wind up.saying that though,today with about five motorcyclists in front of me going up to Tower Gateway in the middle between the cars a cyclist at the front of them was on his mobile phone.Shocking.So I guess nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm more worried about the distraction a bit like car and lorry drivers fiddling with their GPS.

It was a windup

A friend of ours was boasting about how good his Phone was as a SatNav

Next time we went out we rigged this up

Wouldn't actually ride it equipped, but that was not that aim

Jezston

Über Member
Phew!

You've probably given people ideas, though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
And to think cabbies are "professional" road users.

Taxi drivers are no more "professional" than anyone else on the road, in as much as they have passed the same driving test as you and me (hopefully!). They are at the very bottom of the employment food chain (I speak from experience) in terms of wages. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys. I wouldn't expect any better standard of driving from a taxi than I do from anyone else, and that expectation is pretty much zero these days. As long as the chances of getting caught are slim, and punishments are lenient, then some drivers will continue to drive like idiots.

Top Bottom