Using copyright images on CC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roxy641

Not directly related to photography. But very applicable to all creative professionals

View: https://youtu.be/mj5IV23g-fE

I always liked him, but he's gone up even higher in my appreciation. Thanks for posting this.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thus ripping a photo from social media for a news report is an infringement of copyright.

Plus any reproduction is under the legal concept of 'fair dealing', which is taken to mean a small proportion of the work can be used to illustrate the reviewer's/republisher's point.

So using the whole work - you can't properly fair deal with a single photo because you are using all of it - is a breach of copyright unless permission is obtained.
But "The intention of the law is to prevent newspapers or magazines reproducing photographs for reporting current events which have appeared in competitor’s publications" so does the court really go after non-print media for that?

Also, if it's "from social media" then the photographer may have already given a broad copyright licence to any photos uploaded, as part of the service agreement ("you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed)" - that sort of thing). Sometimes the news company will need to do a deal with the social media company and I suspect some of them license it in exchange for crediting the social media.

Top Bottom