Using Goldlube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
Why am I not convinced that my chain and gears are getting the right kind of lubrication. The temptation to to give it a squirt with good old 10-50 synthetic motor oil is growing.

ASC1951

Guru
Resist the temptation. You'll just end up with a drive train covered in black grinding paste.

If you must blather oil on it, I would use something thinner.

Alternatively, give in to the temptation and when you find you need to replace you entire drive chain, the cost will remind you not to do it again.

At the same time, why not put an oil in your car engine that is designed for a totally different purpose, after all oil is oil, right!

(Note: Anyone taking the above advice seriously does so at their own risk)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i use engine oil on my brommie. it's the only thing that lasts because of the salt as long as you wipe off the excess it will be fine. but brommies drive train is much lower to the ground than a full size wheeled bike. my chains don't wear out any faster.

C

chillyuk

I wonder how we got on 50 years ago when we didn't have all these fancy overpriced lubes. Our 10 speed chains/sprockets would last for years on normal oil.

I have always used normal car oil without problems. Admittedly I dont have hundreds of gears and chains as thin as a ladies necklace. Perhaps that makes a difference.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you really think it'll make that much difference?

It's a bike, not an F1 car. I reckon Engine oil will work fine, just wipe off the excess. It is thicker but I'm sure it'll work its way into the rollers where it's really needed. A bike chain will run quite happily bone dry with surprisingly little to no wear on the cogs. My mate runs his this way.
The visible oil is really mostly protecting from rust.

Use car oil on your chain and use the mickle method to keep it clean.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How can £4 for a small bottle of Finish Line Pro Ceramic be too costly ? - yes it's a lot for a small amount, but that bottle will last a year on an everyday commute bike....

It's clean as well, you only need a small drop on the roller. Using anything else is too messy - forget aerosols, so much waste.

Top Bottom