using phone as car sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We only have a basic off line plug in sat nav and are going on a big trip soon, i was wondering if using my phone a moto g8 power lite would be a better option for accuracy and real time traffic info?
I have never used a phone for sat nav so i have no idea how it all works .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Phone works fine

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Google maps navigation is great. My sons car is android auto, so uses the phone software on his car screen.

Its really good with traffic, as I used it when commuting due to a main road being up, it gave real time quickest routes, much better than my built in sat nav.

Wayz ? is also good

potsy

Rambler
Google maps is great for navigating, real time traffic info can come in very handy at times.

I use it with Android Auto but I'm sure it will be fine straight from the phone if it's mounted properly :okay:

si_c

Guru
Google maps will work perfectly for navigation. You can get a mount for the dashboard so you can glance at the screen and see the route ahead, but some find that distracting. Assuming that you have your phone connected to your car audio then route instructions should come through your speakers. It's probably worth getting a charger for the car if you don't already have one as you can drain your battery surprisingly quickly doing navigation, although the G8 power does have a spectacularly large battery.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Google maps or Waze but will use data allowance
not an issue i have 3 phones on sky mobile and the data allowance is shared and banked , i have about 20 gig in the pot atm

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I hold my phone about 6" away and say "Ok, Google, take me to West Bay, Dorset, by car" - and it does! Magic! It is a battery-gobbler though, so be aware of that. Other than that, you can't go wrong. It even warns you of (and if necessary directs you around) traffic holdups.

Top Bottom