Using roll bags as tail bags - what's the drawback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For my next tour, I think I'll use my long flap saddlebag which rests on the top of the rack with a roll bag behind it. I attempted something like this last year and it didn't fit so I resorted to panniers but they were annoying to attach and detach (I've a thick-barred rack) and I felt it encouraged me to take more than I needed because I could. If it's 7% easier without pannier drag, that would be good too - because I'm lazy.

With a few more tricks since last year, I think I could make it fit by turning the roll bag through ninety degrees and throwing two straps around it and the rack, resulting in a tail bag that looks like what many motorcyclists use on top of their racks:
d979a7a96757ba15d1aa0a3bd46afba4.jpg

...I tried it and it all seems to fit and be stable (but I've not tried a test ride yet), but searching around, I can't find any cyclists doing this. So is there some drawback that I'm missing? I realise that getting anything out of a stuffed roll with it strapped won't be easy so it's only for things I don't want while riding, plus it makes access to the central main pocket of the saddlebag more difficult.

Is that all, or is there something worse? Or maybe people just use panniers once they've got a rack.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Similar idea and it works a treat:

IMG_5181.JPG

OK a sleep-roll, but a dry-bag would be no different. In hindsight I'd have swapped the tent (in the flap of the camper) with the mats, but hey-ho, you live and learn. Alpkit do some half decent dry-bags, my fave being double ended (for next trip).
The red Alpkit bag has my bulky Paramo jacket.
That's a full w/ends camping (with social evening wear) gear and stove.

Previously, for the same trip:

IMG_2987.JPG

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Phew! Maybe it's just my image-search-fu that isn't up to it.

I'm not camping or carrying a stove, but I'll be gone for a week, so I guess more changes of clothes means it ends up similar. I was thinking it would be nice to put the waterproofs more easily accessible than the saddlebag main compartment, but they're too big for the side pockets or bar bag - your picture has just made me think to put them under the flap but not in the bag - d'oh!

Fab Foodie

Phew! Maybe it's just my image-search-fu that isn't up to it.

I'm not camping or carrying a stove, but I'll be gone for a week, so I guess more changes of clothes means it ends up similar. I was thinking it would be nice to put the waterproofs more easily accessible than the saddlebag main compartment, but they're too big for the side pockets or bar bag - your picture has just made me think to put them under the flap but not in the bag - d'oh!
Brompton tourers quite often use dry-bags as the main clothes containing unit leaving them standing vertically on the rack....60L!
I prefer to keep my waterproofs attached to the outside so I don't need to disturb what I've packed in the Longflap :-)

I was thinking it would be nice to put the waterproofs more easily accessible than the saddlebag main compartment, but they're too big for the side pockets or bar bag

160913-psotr-080.JPG

My waterproofs live in the blue (not quite so) dry bag on the left :smile:

Reactions: mjr

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Similar idea and it works a treat:

View attachment 353644

OK a sleep-roll, but a dry-bag would be no different. In hindsight I'd have swapped the tent (in the flap of the camper) with the mats, but hey-ho, you live and learn. Alpkit do some half decent dry-bags, my fave being double ended (for next trip).
The red Alpkit bag has my bulky Paramo jacket.
That's a full w/ends camping (with social evening wear) gear and stove.

Previously, for the same trip:

View attachment 353645
Another fan of the 'tin mug' on the strap I see, I normally have the kettle on the other side too. :becool:

Floating Bombus

Ha! I think I'd feel my mug needed a rinse before every use if I kept it dangling outside like that, but maybe that's overthinking it re dirt and dust.

As to the sideways bag thing, not quite the same but I've carried a tent in that position. For accessible waterproofs, when I'm using four panniers I put them in one of the fronts. When two panniers, they can go under one flap. Under a saddlebag flap seems a good place too. Or strapped on top?

Fab Foodie

Another fan of the 'tin mug' on the strap I see, I normally have the kettle on the other side too. :becool:
We're sooooo trad.

reppans

I think the downside is primarily the high CoG - panniers carry the weight nice and low for best handling.

Think I'm going to run a similar set-up as you with a dry-bag backpack, but strapped lengthwise for better aerodynamics. I'll also run a frame bag to carry the cheap heavy stuff like water, tools, and hydrated food.

My concern is off-bike gear security, and riding rough roads/trails - I like having a quick release bag that be backpacked for walking around, and relieving the bike/racks from unsprung pounding on rough terrain.

Top Bottom