Using Schrader inner tube on bike that came with Presta inner tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Headgardener said:
I believe that Presta valves are better for the higher pressures that 700c wheels run at whereas Shraeder valves leak at more than 65psi but no doubt someone will be along soon to either confirm or deny it.

I have inflated tyres fitted with schrader valves on Agricultural, industrial and commercial vehicles to over 120 PSI.

I like the commonality of shcrader valves across all vehicles; including my bikes, and will admit to being lazy and using my ryobi cordless tyre inflater even on the bikes and bike trailers. The only time that my traditional bike pump gets used is when we are out cycling and one of us, or another cyclist gets a puncture.

Headgardener said:
I believe that Presta valves are better for the higher pressures that 700c wheels run at whereas Shraeder valves leak at more than 65psi but no doubt someone will be along soon to either confirm or deny it.

I have inflated tyres fitted with schrader valves on Agricultural, industrial and commercial vehicles to over 120 PSI.

I like the commonality of shcrader valves across all vehicles; including my bikes, and will admit to being lazy and using my ryobi cordless tyre inflater even on the bikes and bike trailers. The only time that my traditional bike pump gets used is when we are out cycling and one of us, or another cyclist gets a puncture.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
And they're easier to pump up. With Schraeder you have to overcome the resistance of the valve spring, and Presta doesn't have a valve spring.
Also, if you've got narrow rims it's easier to fit both tyre beads and the valve in the well of the rim if the valve is narrower.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
And they're easier to pump up. With Schraeder you have to overcome the resistance of the valve spring, and Presta doesn't have a valve spring.
Also, if you've got narrow rims it's easier to fit both tyre beads and the valve in the well of the rim if the valve is narrower.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
potsy said:
What's the problem with using presta's on schraeder sized holes? I carry one as a spare is it no good?

Under pressure the tube will swell into contact with the metal edge of the hole.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
potsy said:
What's the problem with using presta's on schraeder sized holes? I carry one as a spare is it no good?

Under pressure the tube will swell into contact with the metal edge of the hole.

Debian

TheDoctor said:

Really?

Can't say I've ever noticed a difference. I understand what you say but I've never found one or the other to be easier to pump. I rarely use a small hand pump though, usually a track pump or, when possible, a leccy one! :evil:

Debian

TheDoctor said:

Really?

Can't say I've ever noticed a difference. I understand what you say but I've never found one or the other to be easier to pump. I rarely use a small hand pump though, usually a track pump or, when possible, a leccy one! :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:

The pump attachment pushes the valve open for you.

tyred

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:

tyred

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:

Top Bottom