Using the quote function

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by Nonethewiser, 17 Jul 2018.

1. Nonethewiser

Nonethewiser Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a bit of a bonehead question but I'm not all that experienced a forum user generally. I'd be very grateful if someone would explain to me how to use the quote function . I recall seeing something in another thread some time ago and I did manage to use the function once but thereafter didn't use the forum for about 6 months and now I can't remember!

Illaveago likes this.
  2. It's for when you want to include quotes from more than one post on your reply.

Click on +quote for each post you want. Then when you go to reply you should see and "Insert Quotes" button.

Screenshot_20180717-172318_1.png

3. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

And he's still 'Nonethewiser' :smile:

4. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Or,if you only want to quote a bit of the post, select the text you want, an option to quote will appear.
    Insert the quote in your reply.

5. Tenacious Sloth

Tenacious Sloth Über Member

Didn’t know you could do that. Every day is a school day.

Thanks.

6. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Do what? :tongue:

7. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

This is called"selective quoting" or "misquoting", there is a CC guideline about it ^_^

Katherine, jefmcg and Tenacious Sloth like this.
  8. Salty seadog

TLDR.:whistle:

Pat "5mph" and classic33 like this.
  9. This is pretty perfect. I was trying to keep it simple, so he could use the functionality. Someone adding that in a separate post (@Pat "5mph" :hello:) gives extra information to the OP without confusing the simple explanation, and also other users.

Something I didn't realise until just now when I tested it: if you want to reply to several different points in the same post, you can select each point, and +quote them, and you will get multiple quotes from the same OP. Embarrassingly, I've been hand editing them. Please don't tell anyone!

Last edited: 17 Jul 2018
  10. Salty seadog

Uh ha, do go on.

Ahhh, like it ....

:rofl:

11. ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

Ha ha - it works - I too have been doing repeated full quotes and editing!

12. Tenacious Sloth

Tenacious Sloth Über Member

We do need to be careful when using this feature not to quote others out of context though.

:laugh:

13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Well I never.

Pat "5mph" and Salty seadog like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Nonethewiser

Nonethewiser Well-Known Member

Excellent, it's not as difficult as I thought. Many thanks for that and it would seem that I've opened a thread that's been useful to others too.

15. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Remember that all of the "+quote" things only work if your browser is set to insecure or if you've specifically granted cyclechat program permission.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice