Using the 'wrong' lane...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Maz said:
On my way back from work there's a 3-way RAB. I need to turn right. On the approach to the RAB there are 2 lanes: Left lane for straight (to supermarket only), Right lane for turning right.

My lane is usually v.slow moving, but the left lane is free. I've seen a few cyclists take the left lane to make a right turn, making far better progress than me. It's very tempting...

Does anyone else do this? Seems OK, right? Right?

I do something similar, and I must admit it's for the sole purpose of jumping the queue of cars. The caveat is that it's a mini roundabout, and because the turning space is wide, there's plenty of room for me to stay on the inside of a car turning right all the way round - we don't come into conflict.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Can you not just filter on the right and cut into the jam one or two cars back from the line?
Good idea, but it's difficult. There's plenty of oncoming traffic and so it would be dangerous IMO.

Hmm... how do motorbikes (not hairdryers) approach this RAB?

Thinking to my approach to the traffic lights at Westminister, travelling out of the city along embankment, I ride down the LHS of the line of traffic and cut in one or two cars from the front so as to make the turn, starting in the correct lane in a visible, safe lane position. A little wave of thanks to the driver you cut in front of makes a difference.

last year when I was working in London and commuting every day, I was always as polite, smiley and wavey as I could be. I did this on the basis that as I always travelled at the same commuter time, it was reasonable for me to assume lots of the drivers I saw would do the same. After a few weeks I started to notice some regulars being more courteous, as they started to recognise me.

Top Bottom