Utilising Zwift's programmes for serious weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I've been using Zwift for a few months now as our club's rides have gone virtual amid lockdown. Wanting to get more out of it, is there a way to use the training section for serious weight loss? By serious I mean a few stone over the year, combining better diet with a proper training programme. I have tried reading on Zwift Insider and Zwift's own site, but they tend to be focussed at the already lean cyclists looking to shed the Christmas pounds, rather than a sustained programme for what I'm looking for.

Even if there isn't a structured programme on Zwift for this, what sort of programmes should I try and string together myself to structure around my week?

Partially depends on how much time you want to spend each week on Zwift.

If you have time, something like the 12-Week FTP Builder would be a good place to start perhaps and is 3-5 workouts per week.

You can compare the various programmes at WhatsonZwift as well as the flexible training plans. If you're time-short, go for one that has a greater percentage of time in Zones 3+. If you've got the time for more endurance, take a plan with more green and blue :okay:

If you take one of the 2-3 rides-per-week plans, you could throw in a race or two on the off days if you fancy it. I've been on Zwift since December 2015 and am embarassed to say I've only just got into racing (as opposed to group rides, which turn into races anyway and which I've always done). If you're remotely competitive then a short Crit City race is a brilliant workout, and nothing to be intimidated by.

And remember, the workouts scale with your FTP so test regularly!

Dan77

I've lost 12kg since July without changing my diet which isn't the best.

I'm sure I could have lost more weight and quicker by being more structured with it. The one thing I have done though is commit to the riding and make sure I'm riding 5-6 days a week. Generally 6-8 hours/week in total. Since I've started Zwifting in October I've been building up power and effort quite a lot but haven't lost much weight since then. Probably a combination of my diet (especially when adding Christmas into the equation) and gaining a bit of muscle.

Anyway, my point is that you can do better than I have if you improve your diet and structure your training so you're in the fat burning zone but as far as I'm concerned the number one thing you can do is be on your bike very regularly. The hardest bit is getting motivated to get on it in the first place, especially after a difficult day but I seem to have mastered that now.

Good luck and try to enjoy it.

There's plenty on Training Peaks focused on weight loss, you can even get them customised to your needs and they aren't expensive ($30). Might be worth looking at.

Just committed to a 10wk plan with a bid to be a ready by end of March to take on the World:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks for the responses. I have just upgraded from dumb to smart trainer, so FTP test is a must this week. Getting 5-6 days might be tricky juggling work, as work eats into my evenings when I'm not with our little one. Maybe I need to drag myself out of bed early enough to have a pre breakfast ride a few times a week and use plans that get me into that fat burning zone.

Dan77

Thanks for the responses. I have just upgraded from dumb to smart trainer, so FTP test is a must this week. Getting 5-6 days might be tricky juggling work, as work eats into my evenings when I'm not with our little one. Maybe I need to drag myself out of bed early enough to have a pre breakfast ride a few times a week and use plans that get me into that fat burning zone.

It's tricky for me too but I just make myself do it. Can't generally get on until after 9pm when the kids are asleep if I'm lucky. So I do it then. Not an ideal time at all but I do it when I can.

When the weather is better I'll go back to commuting and that makes it easier as that's about 45-50 minutes round trip.

Top Bottom