Vätternrundan 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In this post, @Defy 1 said

Is anyone looking at doing the Vatternundan 300km next June in Sweden

So I thought I'd start a thread here. Vätternrundan is possibly biggest mass participation bike event in the world (but there may be a thing in South Africa that's bigger, but that's neither here nor there). It's a 300k circuit of Lake Vättern from the town of Motala.

Registration is on the 7th of Nov.

Given that I won't do audaxes if it means driving to or staying overnight at the start (which rules out most audaxes) it's a bit odd that I should even be considering this.

I'm torn because I like Sweden and as a glassblower I love the Glasriket area so I could combine it with a holiday there. But the logistics and the amount of holiday time that the ride would use up are a massive downside.

Could drive there, with bike on the roof, via Hoek van Holland. Massive hassle. Waste of holiday time spending several days on the road.
Could fly and take the bike on the plane, and then hire a car with a bike rack, or a ginormous estate car or van. Even massiver hassle.
Fly, hire a car, and do it on my Brompton. I've never ridden my Brommie more than about 110km, and it gets a bit uncomfortable after a while, so a bit of a risk.
Hire a bike there. Not sure about doing 300k on a hired bike. Not even sure if this would be possible.

All the same, I've actually got permission from my wife to drag her off on this stupid expedition. So I'm still torn.

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Blimey, it looks amazing. Got all sort of ideas running through my head. What experiences do people have of riding it in the past ?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Somewhere I should have a 1986 information pack for this. It could be interesting so I hope it's survived. At the time I quickly concluded that travelling to northern Europe at considerable cost in both time and money to be compelled to wear a helmet wasn't something I wanted to do.

Nevertheless it remains an enticing idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think in my heart I'm coming to a similar conclusion. I've had a great time in Sweden in the past, and will go there again, but for holiday activities walking boots and glassblowing tools are so much more portable than a bike.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm glad to say the pack has survived. There clearly wasn't an English version of the brochure, so the English information sheet is the only part that is fully comprehensible to me. It is dominated by over a page of helmet-preaching which could be of interest in another thread...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Don't you love Youtube?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziTgWtmAYSs

I saw a few reasons why I ought to have been there.

Top Bottom