Vätternrundan, Sweden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Anyone done it? Anyone planning to do it in 2009? I've signed up for a 40th birthday treat and I'm looking for tips, especially for travel and accommodation. I thank you.

Tetedelacourse

I think Dayvo might have done it - he was talking about it earlier in the year anyway. If not, I'm sure he'd be able to advise on accommodation etc.

I'm extremely envious of you. How in God's name do you earn enough brownie points to get permission for something like that??!!!

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks all. I thought this post might disappear without trace over Christmas.

Tetedelacourse said:
I think Dayvo might have done it - he was talking about it earlier in the year anyway. If not, I'm sure he'd be able to advise on accommodation etc.
I know Dayvo mentioned it in a post last year, but that was about it.

Tetedelacourse said:
I'm extremely envious of you. How in God's name do you earn enough brownie points to get permission for something like that??!!!
:smile:
Not quite sure myself. On my side is that Mrs Dr Bollo's family take birthdays very seriously. If I told she was also financing it, how would that make you feel?:rolleyes::sad:

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Zoom said:
I've entered; hoping for a late start. Getting very exctited.
Its not the start I'm worried about, its the finish!:rolleyes:

Bolletta goes to school with a Swedish lad and his mum has offered help and advice on accommodation and ting. I might take her up on the offer.

Zoom - how are you getting there? Are you already there? I'm not a huge fan of flying so I'd like to avoid that if possible. The train ride looks entertaining, but I have an Englishman's mistrust of rail journeys that require a change.

Zoom

Über Member
Bollo said:
Its not the start I'm worried about, its the finish!:wacko:

Bolletta goes to school with a Swedish lad and his mum has offered help and advice on accommodation and ting. I might take her up on the offer.

Zoom - how are you getting there? Are you already there? I'm not a huge fan of flying so I'd like to avoid that if possible

Flying to Stockholm; not worked out the rest other than a possible 241km ride along mostly motorway :smile: (not sure if there is a parallel cycle path or at least minor road) car hire is going to be £££££ but I might be allowed to get the bike on the train in a bag

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Zoom said:
Flying to Stockholm; not worked out the rest other than a possible 241km ride along mostly motorway :biggrin: (not sure if there is a parallel cycle path or at least minor road) car hire is going to be £££££ but I might be allowed to get the bike on the train in a bag

I believe you can take bikes unbagged on most trains in Sweden, so if its been bagged up for a flight you should be ok. My only concern is that there may be special rules for bikes before and after the ride due to numbers. I'm going to ping some questions across to the Motola tourist info. I'll PM you back with what I find.

If you're even considering riding from Stockholm to Motola, I think you'll be passing me sharpish.:angry:

Carwash

Señor Member
Bollo said:
I believe you can take bikes unbagged on most trains in Sweden, so if its been bagged up for a flight you should be ok.

No. Bikes are not allowed on trains in Sweden (except certain routes in the south connected to the Öresund bridge). But if you book in advance and tell them you have a bike, it will be taken to your destination station separately as luggage for you to collect.

Zoom

Über Member
it looks like a 241 km ride to the start :ohmy:

I do have a possible Swedish contact though; time for some diplomacy (also worth checking the forum for offers of car shares). I was planning on using a compact airbed in the gym the night before and after; judging by the SKR 220 shuttle train fare from the airport it seems best to avoid any normal monetary transactions over there if possible.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Carwash said:
No. Bikes are not allowed on trains in Sweden (except certain routes in the south connected to the Öresund bridge). But if you book in advance and tell them you have a bike, it will be taken to your destination station separately as luggage for you to collect.

Bum. I had a look at ww.sj.se a few months ago as I'd also been told bikes were not allowed on trains and I'm sure I found a page that said they were starting to accept bikes on trains. I guess I was either drunk or they've junked the idea.

Does this still apply to bagged bikes? The SJ website says that you can take as much luggage as you can reasonably carry, and a bike in a hardcase is just that - luggage.

Don't fancy the idea of being separated from the bike, especially as there may be one or two others around, and there's no way I'm tagging on an extra 240km each way.

Carwash

Señor Member
Bollo said:
Does this still apply to bagged bikes? The SJ website says that you can take as much luggage as you can reasonably carry, and a bike in a hardcase is just that - luggage.

Good luck arguing that with them. Unless it's a folder, I can't see where you would put a bike - bagged or not - without completely blocking the aisle or doors.

The SJ website says you can take what you can carry (and gives folded pushchairs and wheelchairs as examples) but also says that you may only take bikes on certain routes in the south, for which you require a cycle ticket. The Östgötatrafiken website (local transport authority for where you're going) simply says that bikes are forbidden on trains.

Another possibility might be to go by coach. Or to send your bagged bike as a parcel by coach.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Carwash said:
Good luck arguing that with them. Unless it's a folder, I can't see where you would put a bike - bagged or not - without completely blocking the aisle or doors.

The SJ website says you can take what you can carry (and gives folded pushchairs and wheelchairs as examples) but also says that you may only take bikes on certain routes in the south, for which you require a cycle ticket. The Östgötatrafiken website (local transport authority for where you're going) simply says that bikes are forbidden on trains.

Another possibility might be to go by coach. Or to send your bagged bike as a parcel by coach.

This is a tricky one everywhere. The Underground is a great place to have this argument.

I am talking about a hard case that doesn't really give much clue as to what's inside.

I know (this time I do know :sad:) that bag size restrictions on Eurostar and TGVs mean that you have to pick your bike bag carefully (120cmx90cm was the limit last time I looked)

Carwash

Señor Member
Bollo said:
I am talking about a hard case that doesn't really give much clue as to what's inside.

I don't think that would really make a difference. Whether it was clearly a bike or not, it would still be large enough to block the aisle and doors, which their regulations forbid. Trying to weasel out of it by finding a 'loophole' is probably not going to go down very well. :sad: What's the problem with having them take your bike separately, anyway?

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Carwash said:
I don't think that would really make a difference. Whether it was clearly a bike or not, it would still be large enough to block the aisle and doors, which their regulations forbid. Trying to weasel out of it by finding a 'loophole' is probably not going to go down very well. ;) What's the problem with having them take your bike separately, anyway?

I'm well versed enough in rail travel to know that taking a chance is not a wise thing to do and that there's a breed of train conductor that takes a positive joy in being an arse. Funnily enough its one area where UK rail staff seem to be much more pragmatic than on the continent - I've even talked a tandem on a couple of times, whereas I'm pretty much prepared for the eurostar/sncf boys to get their tape measure out.

Its a prejudice, but I don't have a great track record of being reunited with my luggage so I prefer to keep it close to hand, especially as the courier insurance cover usually isn't enough for the bike.

I might chuck sj an email, but I'm erring on the side of driving anyway, as the return rail journey doesn't work for me.

Zoom - will PM you.

Top Bottom