'V' Brake blocks and why don't they fit rims ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Why do 'V' blocks not fit rims ?

On bikes with 26" and 700c wheels the radii or arc of the blocks look more suited to a 20" ** wheel, even though bought for the specific sized wheel they are supposed to fit, this has happened on more than one occasion.

You either have the top centre attacking the tyre or the leading / trailing ends hanging in space. Or am I just buying the wrong make (as in, from Halfrauds, on a cold wet Sunday).

The reason I am asking is that I went out for a little spin this am and when I needed to do some serious breaking the front brake (break ? :biggrin:) was really spongy, found out a block had moved slightly and was running on the un-worn inner bottom corners on the rim before I hammered the pressure on.

Must say these blocks are better than O.E. though (CB hybrid), they disappeared after © 300km !

Question is, is it worth the extra kudos to buy koolstop next time, as in, get them in house before required ?

** I might even get the calculator out and workout the theoretical diameter the blocks are designed for.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My V Brake blocks fit nicely with my canti's and follow the rim. Using decathlon's "blocks" with 2 sets of pads per block

bonj2

I once tried v-brake blocks on my 700c wheels and the reason they didn't fit was 'cos the brake caliper is too close to the seatstays/forks.

Top Bottom