V brake replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesskis

Hi, could anyone help.

I have replaced my brakes on a Trek 9700 with Some Shimano Deore V brakes and they seem to fit well. However I can't seem to tighten them up as there is always some play left in the brake leaver. This is the case even if I tighten the brakes so that they touch the rim of the wheel. The wheel obviously won't go round freely but I'm still able (with force) to pull the brake leaver all the way to the handle bar grip. Something is obviously stretching but the brake cable seems ok.

Prob not explaining my self very well but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks James

Lanzecki

Über Member
Somone willbe along to explain, but basically the V brakes require more cable pull then caliper pull brakes, this makes the level feel ineffective.

2 fixes: replace the levers with V-brake compatible ones, or fit a snail cam to increase the effective pull of the levers. I did this on my trailer bike and it's very effective.

Last edited:

GlenBen

Über Member
On my levers there is a red switch that swaps the cable pull amount. Is it possible you have one too and knocked it while you changed them? Sounds like its just not pulling enough. Did you used to have v brakes?

OP
OP
J

Jamesskis

I changed the brakes from calliper to V but clearly I needed to change the leavers as well. Thanks again.

Top Bottom