Value of My MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Before you start, I would attempt to sell it complete first, but be realistic about the price - most people here agree that £600 is the absolute max you will get!

Selling the components separately is a lot of time and effort with postage and bad eBayers, expensive eBay/PayPal fees etc.

If you're set on building your own bike rather than buying off the shelf, probably the best advice would be to sell the frame, forks and wheels and a few other bits and keep the groupset etc. (as you stated that it's new) and start a new build.

Judging from this situation, you might be a person more suited to buying an 'off the peg' bike! There are some great bikes about for the kind of money you spent on this thing (£1000). Try a few in your LBSs - you'll be amazed how much better they are than you're current ride.

e-rider

crappy member
...and, I could be tempted by the front Spin wheel - would look great on my commuter. I remember back in 94/95 dreaming about a set of these wheels (or was it a nightmare)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Not happy to continue the miserable news for you. Its not worth very much at all. The frame is a bog standard ally frame that you can get for £40 brand new, and as this is the basis of the bike, its going to shape every potential buyer.

Cut your losses. split it all and put on Ebay. Bad time of year to sell though :eek:

The spin wheels 'may' sell for lots if you get some weird retro collector after them

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Thanks for all the comments, this 'honesty' is what i was after. I have been thinking over my options and have come up with the following;

90% of my cycling is done on the road with my road bike. Financially, i am under no pressure to sell my current MTB, as i am happy to be without a MTB for the time being.

Excluding the frame and forks, there are a selection of parts currently on my MTB which i could transfer to a new bike in the future, these being;
- brakes and boosters
- handle bars and ends
- full xt groupset
- spin wheels
- carbon seat post and saddle

I feel it would be worth giving the bike a good clean and storing it away for a few months. I will readress what is to be done with the bike once i have finished training for my road cycling next summer (LE to John De Grotes and other smaller rides).

If i want to get the bike up and running at virtually no cost, i can sell the current forks and get a set of Kona Project 2s. I have spoken to my LBS and they are happy to strip the bike and rebuild it, adding new forks and recabling the brakes and gears (as i am not happy with their current setup, costing £31 for all labour).

So there are a few options; switch to kona 2 forks with a rebuild (which wont cost a penny), or store the bike away and readdress when i look into getting another MTB later on in the year (next year). I will lose money with option two, but with a lot more testing of MTB and a frame fitting service, i will have something more ideal. I will have to be a little more wary with ebay and used bikes when i am unable to test ride them!

RedBike

If you're serious about riding XC (I would assume anyone spending £1k on a bike was) then you'd be well advised to have a bike with hydrallic disc brakes and front suspension. When you start to ride more technical trails you'll soon find out exactly why these parts are very desirable.

I wouldn't suggest spending a penny more on that bike before you actually try a few QUALITY mtbs on some dedicated MTB trails.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Small Update....

I have now got a set of new Kona P2's (cost £39.99 delivered).

I am stripping the bike and cleaning it tomorrow. It will be taken into Northwood cycles to be rebuilt, re-cabled and forks fitted (this costing £31).

This means the bike should be finally sorted and i can enjoy the used of my MTB.

As mentioned in previous posts, i am concentrating on my road cycling and have the use of a imagic turbo trainer, race bike and soon a fixie as well....therefore the MTB will be used as more of a 'toy' then a serious off roader.

Top Bottom