Valve core tightner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a puncture today while i was out and forgot the valve core tightener subsequently every time i tried to use the mini pump(screw on type) it screwed out the valve.
I use continental tubes and although i should have taken out the tightener tool with me it still annoys the heck out of me that they have these screw out valves.
what other manufacturers do NOT use these type of valves?

vickster

Legendary Member
Had a puncture today while i was out and forgot the valve core tightener subsequently every time i tried to use the mini pump(screw on type) it screwed out the valve.
I use continental tubes and although i should have taken out the tightener tool with me it still annoys the heck out of me that they have these screw out valves.
All of them? I've only ever had the issue with continental tubes. I'll never buy another (Schwalbe or Michelin now)

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I have had a problem with the cores unscrewing in the past.
I just remove them now and put a spot of superglue on them and screw and tighten back up with the core tightening tool.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Just make sure you tighten the core when you get the tube out before putting it in your on-bike kit :smile:

A standard spoke key works well - no need for a special tool if you don't have one already

mangid

Guru

Happens to me with Continental tubes, usually on bitterly cold wet dark windy mornings.

I now apply thread lock to all valve cores when get replacement tubes ;-) I do also have a little plastic do-hicky for tightening them in the tool pack.

Michelin valve cores aren't removable, well at least on their UltraLight 700x23c

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm glad it's not only me this has happened to, and surprised it's not been mentioned before!
I use the 'little blob of threadlock' method ever since I had this problem out in the wilds of Northamptonshire..

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I was looking for a tube that had the removable Presta valve. Am I to understand that Conti are and Schwalbe not?

Conti's definately as you can see they have annoyed some on here, me included in the past :laugh:
Not sure about schwalbe

Top Bottom