Valves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fozzym

Hi Guys,

I'm a noob to cycling (other than the odd sunday) I've ordered some road tyres (semi slick) to put on my mountain bike rims. I'm going to start road riding more often including some commuting to work so it makes sense to get a tyre for the job.
While I'm changing the tyres I thought I might as well change the inner tubes as the ones in there at the mo are probably 10 years old, for the price it seems rude not to!
The current inner tubes have the schrada valve but I'm hearing that the presta valve are better in that they hold the pressure more consistantly.
So my question is; can you fit an inner tube with a presta valve to a rim that has a hole for the scharda valve?
Hope that all makes sense!
:thumbsup:

simon.r

Person
The short answer is yes.

The slightly longer answer is that it's probably best to fit a grommet.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but I'd guess that your semi-slicks will be narrower than the old tyres, so get some tubes in the correct width.

sidevalve

Über Member
Can it be done - yes. But why ? the pressures on MTB tyres arn't that high and TBH How many times do you see car [or truck tyres, which run at higher pressures] losing air through the valves ? I've had MTB tyres hold pressure for weeks even months. You can do it if you want but I don't think the benefits will be noticeable.

OP
OP
F

Fozzym

Thanks guys,

Yes a realised I will have to get tubes to suit the tyres. As for the valve type, Its one of those things where you hear a few peeps talking about the presta valves being the ones to have....So just wondered if I should be going for them, easiest thing would be to just go with the car type as I know the score with them.
:thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
I would stick with Schrader valves. Tougher and more durable and can be pumped up at a petrol station out on the road if required.

tyred

Legendary Member
Schrader valves are perfectly capable of high pressure and lorry wheels are pumped to 110 - 120psi using Schrader valves.

Presta tends to be used on high pressure cycle tubes because high pressure tyres are narrow and the rim may not be wide enough for the larger Schrader valve.

byegad

Legendary Member
Schraders hold 100psi OK, and are hard to break. I've broken a fair few valves over 50 years of cycling, all of them Prestas.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
dont change valves,its pointless and will cause problems when ur tube slips inside the tyre

Top Bottom