Van Hire ('WF'/'LS' post-code areas)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone recommend a local Van hire company, please?

I need something like a VW Crafter/Ford Transit LWB/etc...

Ideally, to collect on a Friday AM, and to (ideally) return on Saturday PM

Any pitfalls, I need to be aware of?
I've not hired any vehicles, for over 20 years
My licence has been clean since passing my driving test in 1983, & thus that should cause no problems

PM's if you need to advise me of various companies to avoid?

Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Minster Self Drive in Wakefield : https://minsterselfdrive.co.uk/car-hire-in-wakefield/

NL Commercials in Batley: https://www.nlcommercials.co.uk/

Either have been fine for me.

alicat

Legendary Member
Check out the excess on the insurance. That can be a nasty sting in the tail especially if you're not at fault. To avoid that, pay for their insurance top up. 'Collision damage waiver', I think it's called.

DRM

Guru
When you pick up the van go over it with a fine tooth comb, point out any damage no matter how insignificant & check tyres lights horn & oil any problems tell them to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine sideways, if you get pulled and the police find a fault you’re going to get the points, had a bad experience with Enterprise when work arranged a hire van while mine was in dock, I refused to accept it it was in such bad condition

iandg

Legendary Member
Check mileage limit if you're going far. I did 4 trips Stornoway to Dumfries (return) recently in hire vans. 1 company had an xs mileage charge, limit was 500 miles. I went about 15 miles over and got clobbered £25.

Last edited:
When you pick up the van go over it with a fine tooth comb, point out any damage no matter how insignificant & check tyres lights horn & oil any problems tell them to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine sideways, if you get pulled and the police find a fault you’re going to get the points, had a bad experience with Enterprise when work arranged a hire van while mine was in dock, I refused to accept it it was in such bad condition
I will be checking it, due to hearing others stories about holiday hire cars

Check mileage limit if you're going far. I did 4 trips Stornoway to Dumfries (return) recently in hire vans. 1 company had an xs mileage charge, limit was 500 miles. I went about 15 miles over and got clobbered £25.
I did enquire, & was told 'unlimited'

That said, it'll only be travelling; Wakefield > Pontefract > Birmingham > Wakefield

Top Bottom