van nicholas aeolus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orca

hi i want to buy a titanium road race bike and i am thinking to buy van nicholas aeolus.the use of this bike will be local races.what do you think?
is aeolus race bike or i have to buy something more expensive? and finally what do you think about van nicholas as a brand?

Noodley

I have a VN Yukon which I use for audax rides. Very good bike IMO, and they seem to be becoming very popular amongst audax riders in Scotland.

515mm

I have a Yukon audax iron - which is fab, but one of my pals who also prefers titanium is lusting after an Enigma Echo.

www.enigmabikes.com

For an extra £99 they'll make a custom frame for you - and they're British! Just nip down to Brighton to get measured up. Same sort of money as a Van Nic but custom made. No brainer really.

ferret fur

I've got an Aeolus. I use it for sportive riding and the odd TT. I don't know how it compares with carbon, but for me it is fast and very comfortable with a very definite 'zing' in the ride quality. I would highly recommend one.

The only thing I would say is that I have one of the 6-4 Ti frames which they no longer do. 3-2.5 is the only material available from VN.

515mm said:
I have a Yukon audax iron - which is fab, but one of my pals who also prefers titanium is lusting after an Enigma Echo.

www.enigmabikes.com

For an extra £99 they'll make a custom frame for you - and they're British! Just nip down to Brighton to get measured up. Same sort of money as a Van Nic but custom made. No brainer really.

As one of his other pals with a TI bike I would also recommend Sunday Bicycles too. Can't praise them enough in fact.

http://www.sundaybicycles.co.uk/

But having noticed the O.P.'s location is listed as Greece there might be a freighting charge!

OP
OP
O

orca

thanks for the replies , i live in greece so my options are vn,litespeed,merlin,bianchi.
litespeed , merlin and bianchi are more expencive options.van nicholas is more realistic for me.but aeolus is good option for long destance and racing?van nicholas is reliable company with good products?

OP
OP
O

orca

thank you all

FYI -
Enigma and other UK companies marketing Ti frames are British, but the frames aren't made in the UK. I don't know of any UK builder building Ti frames(altho I stand to be corrected !) - which is a pity really.

Van Nicholas is based in Holland and have thier frames made in China.

Enigma have thier frames made in Russia I believe, whereas Sunday have thiers made in China.

My Airborne Ti was made in China and is a very nice bike.

U

User482

If you're after a British designed Ti bike there's also Burls.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
itisaboutthebike said:
FYI -
Enigma and other UK companies marketing Ti frames are British, but the frames aren't made in the UK. I don't know of any UK builder building Ti frames(altho I stand to be corrected !) - which is a pity really.

Enigma have thier frames made in Russia I believe, whereas Sunday have thiers made in China.

Airborne (Europe) became Van Nicholas.

Paul_Smith

itisaboutthebike said:
FYI -

Burls make theirs in Russia

Planet X have their's made by Lynskey in the USA

ASC1951

Guru
itisaboutthebike said:
My latest frame is an XACD from China. Build quality as good as Airborne, although a few ounces heavier. $445 plus delivery, which included some custom fittings.

Top Bottom