Vango Spirit 200 Tent - anyone else have one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I have just ordered one of these in preparation for the LeJOG trip in three weeks time.

However, I have just noticed that there is no ground sheet included in the small porch area, but the cheaper Tempest 200 does??

I was hoping to put shoes and gear etc in the porch area, but I'm not doing that with no ground sheet in there.

So I have now two options, either buy the additional ground sheet footprint, but of course this increases the cost and also the pack weight or plan B

Cut up a small piece of tarp the same size as the porch area.

Anyone else had this problem with this tent or am I fretting over nothing?

doog

I have the vango tornado 200 with a large porch. I got a groundsheet from B&Q that i cut into bits, one bit to protect the flysheet and the other bit to lay in the porch...was about £5.

Crankarm

Guru
I have just ordered one of these in preparation for the LeJOG trip in three weeks time.

However, I have just noticed that there is no ground sheet included in the small porch area, but the cheaper Tempest 200 does??

I was hoping to put shoes and gear etc in the porch area, but I'm not doing that with no ground sheet in there.

So I have now two options, either buy the additional ground sheet footprint, but of course this increases the cost and also the pack weight or plan B

Cut up a small piece of tarp the same size as the porch area.

Anyone else had this problem with this tent or am I fretting over nothing?

Yes, most definitely.

smeg

Why on earth would you want a groundsheet in your vestibule/porch? :wacko: I've never understood the point of that. You can store gear in there or are you expecting a flash flood? It's a good tent I've got a Spirit 200, it has stood up to some right hammerings in the Scottish Highlands backpacking in exposed areas and/or up in the mountains in April & October. Can be very quick to pitch too, if it's not windy you can just insert 3 pegs at the rear and 2 at the front and leave the others/guylines. The cheaper Tempest 200 is also heavier, and bulkier too I'd imagine.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Why on earth would you want a groundsheet in your vestibule/porch? :wacko: I've never understood the point of that.

Its what you get used to I guess?

All my other tents have it in the front area and therefore enjoy the benefit from it. Of course when its dry, there is no problem, but when its wet...............

smeg

I only tend to leave my boots, the gas stove, my cup/pan etc, and food in the porch, with the food being in carrier bags anyway what is there to get wet? :wacko: It's about being organised, I'd prefer a smaller lighter-weight 1 person tent for solo backpacking in which case most of my gear / rucksack would be kept in bin bags outside of the tent.

I have the spirit 200+ which came with a free footprint.
The fabric for the groundsheet of the inner tent is quite thin and being able to put the footprint underneath it was quite reasuring. The bigger question is where are you going to be camping - wild or campsites. Wild camping - I would want the footprint - Campsites - don't bother worrying. The footprint is useful but not essential. It is also very lightweight and took up next to no room at all.

As for the size and 2 people - I have slept with another person in much smaller tents, and provided you know the person well - 2 in it is not a problem - we just had a routine - person 1 gets in and sorts out, climbs in to sleepingbag, then person 2 does the same and only what you need - change of clothes, wallet & camera + passports in our case, medication - goes into the tent with you - the rest stays out in the porch area (hence us getting the 200+ with built in extension (2 persons cycle touring) - though if only 1 person is using the tent, I personally would have used something much smaller similar to our ultralight weight backpacking tent and kit stays out.)

Top Bottom