VAR - good or bad for the game?

Is VAR good for football?

• Yes - once it's settled down it'll be good for the game

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No - it's killing the momentum of games for no real benefit

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ive highlighted an issue with your response......why not just call them fans, why pigeon hole them into different groups???
Because:
a) Paul was making a related point (unless he corrects me). And;
b) I imagine the experience on TV is quite different to that at the ground. Hence one's view of VAR may be different.

Just as TV fans might not appreciate their stadium's new roof, for example.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Because:
a) Paul was making a related point (unless he corrects me). And;
b) I imagine the experience on TV is quite different to that at the ground. Hence one's view of VAR may be different.

Just as TV fans might not appreciate their stadium's new roof, for example.
that's because he has a dim witted view of football fans and thinks only fans in the stadiums are TRUE fans......by giving your response you've allowed that view to happen......by trying to differentiate between the two.

FANS are FANS whether in the stadium, outside singing or sitting on the sofa.......not everyone has the ability to go to games whether it be a physical, financial issue or maybe because they actually play the game themselves and can't attend due to letting their own teams down

stop letting people like Paul have this pathetic view on what a true fan is

jowwy

I didn't say anything about which experience (or group) was superior. That seems to be your battle, not mine.
neither did i......i said he has a view of what a TRUE fan is....nothing to do with superior or experience

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There are fans and there are supporters. Fans follow a club, often from the other side of the world, but supporters are the people who turn up every week to cheer their team on and contribute directly to the finances of the club. The game could exist without fans, but not without supporters.

I used to be a West Ham supporter, but now because I live 300 miles away I am a fan.

jowwy

There are fans and there are supporters. Fans follow a club, often from the other side of the world, but supporters are the people who turn up every week to cheer their team on and contribute directly to the finances of the club. The game could exist without fans, but not without supporters.

I used to be a West Ham supporter, but now because I live 300 miles away I am a fan.
do fans not buy club merchandise, shirts, posters, bedding etc etc that supports the clubs??? even their sky, bt, amazon, subscriptions support the clubs too....without that TV revenue, you could say there would be no premier league....hey but they are not TRUE fans

and currently the game is existing without supporters.......but fans keep buying the jerseys, merchandise, subscriptions from all variety of places

Dave7

Legendary Member

Interesting thought.
I recently read (maybe 2 years back) that because of sky/tv money clubs could actually do without what you call supporters.
I think Covid etc has dented that belief.

jowwy

Interesting thought.
I recently read (maybe 2 years back) that because of sky/tv money clubs could actually do without what you call supporters.
I think Covid etc has dented that belief.
they just trot out what ever dross they want to support their pathetic view........gets right up my nostrils

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
and currently the game is existing without supporters.......but fans keep buying the jerseys, merchandise, subscriptions from all variety of places
On a temporary basis. There are clubs who could exist on TV and merchandise revenue alone, but they comprise only a handful at the very top of the league pyramid, both in this country and abroad. And if the game turned into a TV show for top clubs without the support structure down through the leagues and back to grass roots level it would soon die.

jowwy

On a temporary basis. There are clubs who could exist on TV and merchandise revenue alone, but they comprise only a handful at the very top of the league pyramid, both in this country and abroad. And if the game turned into a TV show for top clubs without the support structure down through the leagues and back to grass roots level it would soon die.
more dross........fans/supporters are all the same, doesnt make you more special just cause you get a ticket every week or you get your season ticket handed down by a family member, so you dont have to wait in the que like every other fan......

anyways this is about VAR, so i will leave it now

PaulB

Legendary Member
All football should be played by the same rules. If VAR is being used at Anfield, then it must also be used at United - Colchester United. And at Droitwich Town, Fort William and Marine.

jowwy

So should all leagues use goal line technology as well then….or do we pick and choose which ones to meet our own rhetoric

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I rather like VAR - can't stand games being lost, or even won, on the basis of an incorrect decision.

The process needs speeding up, consistency needs working on (but that applies even if we did not have VAR) and I agree it would be good for the Ref to be 'miked up'.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest that there are some inevitable delays whilst checks are being made.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I rather like VAR - can't stand games being lost, or even won, on the basis of an incorrect decision.

The process needs speeding up, consistency needs working on (but that applies even if we did not have VAR) and I agree it would be good for the Ref to be 'miked up'.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest that there are some inevitable delays whilst checks are being made.
ALL games are lost or won on the basis of an incorrect decision. The decision of the goalie to dive to his left and the striker kicks it the other way. The winger passing to the centre forward but he's dispossessed while there was a player in a better position completely unmarked who would have scored. The manager picking the wrong player for that particular game. Loads more examples like that.

So you're there at the ground willing your team on and after many frustrating attempts, your team score. That's good, isn't it? Well no it's not, not yet anyway because before you can cheer or shout or yell your joy at seeing it, you have to wait until they let you know if you're allowed to! It's an absolute disgrace where the very reason you go to watch your team (the overwhelming joy at seeing a goal) is now denied you. The match-going fan, the very essence of the game, the ones who give it the atmosphere the couchies are watching it for, is treated like an inconvenience by those who think the game should be played and decided by computer.

It bothers me and everybody I know MASSIVELY that our reason to go to the games has been taken away from us.

jowwy

ALL games are lost or won on the basis of an incorrect decision. The decision of the goalie to dive to his left and the striker kicks it the other way. The winger passing to the centre forward but he's dispossessed while there was a player in a better position completely unmarked who would have scored. The manager picking the wrong player for that particular game. Loads more examples like that.

So you're there at the ground willing your team on and after many frustrating attempts, your team score. That's good, isn't it? Well no it's not, not yet anyway because before you can cheer or shout or yell your joy at seeing it, you have to wait until they let you know if you're allowed to! It's an absolute disgrace where the very reason you go to watch your team (the overwhelming joy at seeing a goal) is now denied you. The match-going fan, the very essence of the game, the ones who give it the atmosphere the couchies are watching it for, is treated like an inconvenience by those who think the game should be played and decided by computer.

It bothers me and everybody I know MASSIVELY that our reason to go to the games has been taken away from us.
Another pathetic statement………..liverpool dont need fans like you

Top Bottom