VAR, TMO, Hawkeye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65320917

Why do football fans have such an issue with VAR? See the comments in the article above.

I can show you loads of questionable decisions from a rugby TMO and Hawkeye in cricket, but most rugby and cricket fans will agree that overall it has improved the game.

No system is perfect. What makes VAR so disliked. Or are football fans just a contrary bunch?

matiz

Guru
I think it takes the spontaneity out of the game ,
a goal goes in the crowd goes wild then VAR is signalled, and a player is ruled offside for the width of his toenail.
It spoils the flow refs decisions even out over a season, unless your team are playing at old Trafford .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's a great idea and I like it.

However, it is frustratingly slow in use and the rationale re decisions is not properly communicated to fans.

Plus, some decisions have been baffling and others shockingly bad.

Re offside, If a player is 1cm off then they are off. If that upsets people or it is deemed to be absurd (it is imo) then it's the rule that needs changing and it is not a VAR issue.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
But why don’t similar systems get criticism in other sports for slowing the game down or lack of spontaneity.
We’ve had test matches ending with an umpires call review. There were some moans but no one calls for it to be scrapped.
We’re had tried scored where the player was clearly in couch or passes went forward but everyone just gets on with it.
My personal opinion is the press and pundits make far too much of the incorrect decisions.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The issue of slow decisions in football arises due to the, ever changing, complexity of handball and offside rules.

These used to be simple to understand but are now so complicated to interpret in onfield situations that confusion tends to reign causing many "heated' moments.

In these circumstances VAR generally takes some of the heat.

AndyRM

XOXO
The problem isn't VAR, it's the fools in control of the system who make often baffling decisions.

The other thing is that fans can see and hear the rationale made by other systems, and they're far more established so better understood.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I pretty much agree with every post here, except @Drago, Drago's a nobber....

So I'm told.... :tongue: :smooch:

Top Bottom