Varifocals or Bifocals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 4420633, member: 259"]Well, you can get varifocal contacts as well, so not completely OT...[/QUOTE]
Yep. I wear these. Well, actually, just the one in my left eye. Eyesight currently in a rapidly changing state of middle aged flux so this may change.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Many thanks @Cubist. My attempts at clay shooting have been extremely patchy, but always fun. After a quite encouraging first session, I've been going quite rapidly downhill. Maybe blaming my eyesight is a bit sad, but it isn't what it was when I started this lark. I'll seek out experts who can deal with the eyesight stuff.

Thanks again.
Ah, my Spidey senses are tingling g. I do a bit of coaching occasionally and can guarantee that an absolute novice with a decent coach/mentor will hit more than they miss. The novelty means they let their caveman brain take over, and instructions like " put the gun to the clay and kill it" make perfect sense. Next time the novice goes shooting, they will have read all sorts, listened to the bloke in the pub, and now have a head full of maintained lead, pull away, wide rib, multichoke, raised stock, cast on, shell choice, top barrel first, premount, middle beads and biomechanical advantage. Trying to to re- engage the caveman brain with that clamour is the hard bit. As a serious level trap competitor, switching off to let instinct take over was the difference between winning and going nowhere. If your distant vision is OK, shoot with Plano safety specs and see if that helps. And stop thinking g about what you are doing! (Safety matters excepted!)

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I've worn varifocals for quite a while and get on fine with the. Two things to remember, you'll end up with a stiff neck if your monitor is high (I use a desktop) so you may need reading glasses for that. Second is, look down at stairs or kerbs, don't rely on the bottom of the varifocals.

On the other hand, my wife just couldn't stand them - horses for courses

I have varifocals, and, as others have said, they take a little getting used to. Particularly, for me, when turning my head from side to side. Say when looking both ways before crossing the road (how old fashioned does that sound?). They give a slightly disorienting effect, as straight lines like curbs or fences or hedges briefly appear curved, but you do get used to it, and its only rarely that i even notice the brief "giddy effect".

All that having been said, Mrs Salad tried them and couldnt get on with them at all. She took the first pair back, convinced that they had not been correctly made up to her prescription. The replacement ones were no better for her, so she reverted to 2 pairs of glasses, her lookers and her readers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ah, my Spidey senses are tingling g. I do a bit of coaching occasionally and can guarantee that an absolute novice with a decent coach/mentor will hit more than they miss. The novelty means they let their caveman brain take over, and instructions like " put the gun to the clay and kill it" make perfect sense. Next time the novice goes shooting, they will have read all sorts, listened to the bloke in the pub, and now have a head full of maintained lead, pull away, wide rib, multichoke, raised stock, cast on, shell choice, top barrel first, premount, middle beads and biomechanical advantage. Trying to to re- engage the caveman brain with that clamour is the hard bit. As a serious level trap competitor, switching off to let instinct take over was the difference between winning and going nowhere. If your distant vision is OK, shoot with Plano safety specs and see if that helps. And stop thinking g about what you are doing! (Safety matters excepted!)
Thanks for that.
At end of my last, fairly unsuccessful session, the instructor asked what I did. On hearing the word "engineer", he laughed and said that they always over-think things, and that's why they miss. I will attempt to return to my cave!

Last edited:
Sorry - I loathe vari/bi focals.

I hate having to manouvre head and neck to get the relatively narrow "sweet spot".

I hate reading a computer/phone screen with such narrow margins of effective sight. I hate negotiating the contortions necessary to negotiate stairs and steps.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

I hate having to manouvre head and neck to get the relatively narrow "sweet spot".

I hate reading a computer/phone screen with such narrow margins of effective sight. I hate negotiating the contortions necessary to negotiate stairs and steps.
As someone who took a long time to persuade himself to try, with exactly those concerns - I think you've just tried crap varifocals. My eyesight is weak (astigmatism, -3 in one eye, short sight rapidly creeping up to +1.5 - essentially without my specs I'm functionally blind beyond very close reading distance), but even half-decent Specsavers glasses didn't give me any of that narrow margins stuff. My current glasses are so good that I've almost stopped using reading glasses, even for the kind of screen work at arms length that I had them made for. In the office I use two screens side by side, so I've got a very wide field of view. My varifocals cover that extremely comfortably.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

If you are having to move your head around to a particular position to find the sweet spot to read or see something then maybe you have rubbish lenses or the glasses are not adjusted properly I never have this problem with mine when they are adjusted properly.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I'm getting fed up with having to cart reading and distance glasses round with me all the time

Another solution ( that I can't recommend as it takes some getting used to) that I used before my distance vision got worse was to use a reading prescription contact lens in one eye, I used this while orienteering so I could read the map and still have good distance vision without wearing glasses which could be a hinderance while running through trees etc.

Julia9054

Guru
Another solution ( that I can't recommend as it takes some getting used to) that I used before my distance vision got worse was to use a reading prescription contact lens in one eye, I used this while orienteering so I could read the map and still have good distance vision without wearing glasses which could be a hinderance while running through trees etc.
Yeah - this is what I do - except my one contact lens is varifocal

Top Bottom