Varifocals or Bifocals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 4419872, member: 259"]I can even see the duck:s feet ( my that took a lot of autocorrect) underwater when it's really sunny![/QUOTE]
Yes indeed - good aren't they (not the feet - the specs)?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Varifocals here, I got used to them almost immediately, I've found after a couple of pairs that a slightly larger lens area seems to make them work more seamlessly.

My only niggle is not being able to lie down on the settee anymore and watch TV across the room.

Mrs SB has tried with them too but hasn't got on with them nearly as well & picks up new contact lenses tomorrow.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can anybody give me some clues for glasses that let me see CC on a screen but also enable me to see a clay pigeon 40-60 yards away? Is it possible with one pair?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Can anybody give me some clues for glasses that let me see CC on a screen but also enable me to see a clay pigeon 40-60 yards away? Is it possible with one pair?
Yes. Varifocals. Bitter experience teaches several lessons. First, buy the premium version. They have a better field of view. Secondly, choose larger lenses. That way the reading part of the lens is less critical, the middle distance stuff (vdu) is central, and lastly make sure they are fitted correctly to your pupils. If they aren't, the above points become irrelevant. I shoot in mine, but have to make sure they are pushed on properly, so keep the nose piece clean so it doesn't get sweaty or greasy and slip down your nose. I also discovered it helps to sit slightly further back from the computer display and increase the resolution/zoom on the monitor.

I also discovered with an ill-fitting pair, that I couldn't use a rifle scope or binos with them on. OK I discovered I could use them without, until my astigmatism interfered with parallax error on a high end scope. Now I've had the glasses remade with correct IPD (pupil spacing) and it's all fine and dandy.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Many thanks @Cubist. My attempts at clay shooting have been extremely patchy, but always fun. After a quite encouraging first session, I've been going quite rapidly downhill. Maybe blaming my eyesight is a bit sad, but it isn't what it was when I started this lark. I'll seek out experts who can deal with the eyesight stuff.

Thanks again.

Venod

Eh up
Varifocals for me too, no problems at all even from Specsavers, I have some Photochromatic ones for driving which I use on the bike, I intend to get a pair of cycling specific glasses from one of the online retailers at some point.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm reading all these stories of failed varifocals with sorrow because varifocals are fantastic if the optician takes the trouble to measure you properly!

It's not just a question of doing the test then adding the close-up bit at the bottom; careful measurements need to be taken of the position of the eyes in relation to the lenses and the graduation between the two parts. My optician took over 30 minutes just to do this; admittedly I paid extra for fancy Swiss lenses but the result is a pair of varis that are absolutely fantastic; the vision is super clear in both sectors and there's no discernible separation between the two parts. It took about 3 minutes for my brain to get used to them.

You won't get that level of attention at a high street discount store staffed by kids. Find a proper independent optician; if you're lucky enough to live nearby, I strongly recommend the excellent Junaid at Ideal Eye Care just outside Blackburn.

He has also made me photochromic sports varis for cycling and they are equally excellent, in bright sunshine or evening gloom.

Davos87

Guru
I'm blind as a bat without specs but use varifocals. They did take a little getting used to..... Walking up stairs etc but wouldn't be without them now. When I first got them I used to have the habit of moving my head up and down when reading a book but soon adopted the correct response of keeping my head still and moving my eyes
Just as an interesting aside I caught the back end of a piece on R4 yesterday which alluded to research resulting in spectacles adopting principles akin to binoculars where on the side of the spectacle arm you have a very small button which you can slide up and down which alters the lens to focus and refocus the glasses to adapt to what you are doing. Hence the need for only one pair. They mentioned they are going into production and will be available in high street opticians very soon.

Johnsop99

Veteran
Definitely varifocals. First half hour is the most interesting as they make you feel drunk even though you're 100% sober so don't drive/cycle till your brain gets used to them. Was told not to drive for 24 hours but I was happy to drive home after a couple of hours. Wife got her first pair at the same time, very comical both leaving the opticians arm in arm to steady ourselves as the shopping mall floor had a black squared pattern on a light beige background. Every time we got to a black square our brains told us it was a step and our bodies reacted accordingly even though it was completely flat! Must have got some strange looks. Five years on and we wouldn't have anything else. As others have said, get the best quality lenses you can afford and avoid the cheapest.

byegad

Legendary Member
Varifocals here too, for the last 30 years or so!

I think they're something you can use or can't use. I had no issue going from bifocals to varifocals but a friend, seeing my success tried them and went back to bifocal within the trail period. Worth a go as if you get on with them they are great. The only thing I have difficulty with is signs that are close too and high up. My neck only goes so far back!

Top Bottom