Varifocals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Would bifocals be better then?

No better. All the pairs of variable focus with just two ranges I have been happy with. Trifocals were another story. My mid range was useless. I don’t mind my riding glasses being long distance single focus. For the most part it just feels like they are protective glasses, and I have perfectly great vision. If only.

I picked these for my riding glasses, they slightly squeeze my head to stay very comfortably right in place, give me clear vision, and don’t let the bugs or dust get in my eyes. I like them so much I got a pair of long distance prescription sunglasses also. I suggest trying frames on to find one that has just the right fit for you. Best of success.

C0FE8E90-220A-465E-9A04-929AA5BA0A92.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Decided to try a set of stick on lenses to see if they will improve reading of the Garmin/ Wahoo whilst otherwise using the existing distance lenses.

Mike_P

Guru
I picked these for my riding glasses, they slightly squeeze my head to stay very comfortably
Those I take it are from Selectspecs - sizing does seem small on the arms; 132 arms 17 bridge 57 lens whereas my normal glasses are 140 arms, 16 bridge, 54 lens.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I got a new pair of varifocals today. My prescription has changed and these are a bit stronger than previous pairs I've owned. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to them as they seem to require a bit more eye movement to go from distance close up. The optician reckons it can take up to a week, has anyone found the same when they've changed and how long before you got used to them and it became automatic?

Yes - I experienced this so I just wore them for a few hours each day then a bit longer - took a couple of weeks to adjust

Mike_P

Guru
Could not get the stick on lenses to work, even when one was cut down to two small ones; the cost of them was compensated by Optilabs having £20 off an order. I asked them which glasses would be appropriate for my prescription and they sent out trial frames for me to see what the fit as like with sufficient postage stamps included for the return. Went with the Rapide with grey photochromic lenses which arrived on Thursday pre postal strike

IMG_20220827_153356.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Amazing service from Specsavers.

Mrs SD purchased bifocals a couple of months back from them - she loves the lenses and they took very little adjusting to.

Couldn't get on with the frame though - pressure behind her ears making her feel like her head was about to explode. Too tight across the nose bridge as well.

Four return visits to adjust and still no joy - she was hating the things.

However, a friend pointed out the no-quibble 100 day guarantee that Specsavers offer and off she went to see what transpired.

It was absolutely brilliant, they offered another adjustment session which she declined and then immediately offered either a full refund or exchange for different frames. No hassle whatsoever - amazing!

Chose the latter and the frames selected have a free photochromatic upgrade (which she likes on another pair of glasses that she has) to boot.

Bit of a result and they should arrive in branch this week.

mustang1

Guru
I got my first pair a few weeks ago and yes, it takes a few days to get accustomed to them. But they are good once you get passed the initial period.

It also got me thinking about lazer eye surgery because i don't want to keep giving the opticians a bunch of money.

Side note: have you noticed how many opticians there are? Huge profit margins. I once checked up on that and came across a well articulated post from an optician who talked about the training requirements, the retail space, tax and insurance and staff costs etc. But i still wasn't convinced although for now, i still need glasses. I keep thinking of trying the online companies but never get round to it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Do. Massive, really massive savings. The glasses I'm wearing I bought the unglazed frame from eBay for way less than 1/3 retail, and had them glazed online, also way cheaper. A pair of 4-500 quid glasses with high spec varifocal lenses for less than 200.

The proliferation of Luxottica has pushed prices way higher also (so I buy one of the remaining independent manufacturers, Silhouette)

Top Bottom