Varonha Frameworks 853

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
This was a happy labour of love, over a few years of planning, saving and finding the right parts: a special birthday gift for my wife.

It's part fillet brazed, part lugged Reynolds 853 - some of the detailing is just beautiful (the stainless steel cut out from the head badge is silver soldered to the seat tube, the fork crown & low curve, that seat cluster with sleeve & stainless steel top eyes).

...26 inch wheels, a 26/40 double chain set running 10 speed Campagnolo. Velo Orange Grand Cru calipers stop the bike fantastically well. With Berthoud saddle & stainless steel mudguards, plus some Nitto finishing kit.

Our many thanks & appreciation to Winston Vaz for the exquisite frame, Mario Vaz for the custom paint, JRA providing a very light wheelset and Herbert Cycles for the great build.

...couldn't have asked for more with the end result; how well proportioned the bike turned out (it looks in real life as if it's been shrunk) & how well it performs.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Wow!
Beautiful❤

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Wowee what a beauty

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks Tom B and Skipdiver John - much appreciated.

The idea was for a light fast bike with an old school feel: horizontal top tube, 26 inch wheels, metal mudguards, a front centre that would mean no toe overlap (after the headache of small road bike frames and 700c had caused fright & road rash), and a fork with a flat topped crown with that low curve.

I had seen a lot of old French roadster bikes from time over there. A family member still had their 1940s Peugeot mixte - like a work of art.
There was something about the forks on those old bikes.

We knew Winston had extensive experience of building small frames previously with Roberts & had complete confidence in the choices of dimensions, tubing, and geometry. I got the wheels and mudguards first, and the frame clearances were built around them. We were pretty stunned seeing the finished fork for the first time- it seemed exactly the idea we had in our heads. A nice piece of history; it was Bill Hurlow's fork raker that shaped the fork.

There's an excellent Varonha thread over at LFGSS - https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/255909/

A few frame photos before painting:

...My wife loves the bike so we couldn't have asked for anything more...

Top Bottom