Varying commuting hours for winter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Hello all,

just wanted to get some opinions on varying winter hours for commuting.
I don't work flexi-time but can vary my hours slightly if I wish.

This is the second year I have noticed a severe down hill trend in driving quality during the darker commutes.
I have started leaving earlier both ends of the day, but it doesn't seem to help avoid the numpty rush.

Has anyone had success by commuting later in the day?
For example leaving 8.30am as opposed to 6.30am.

I know this can depend on location but just trying to get a general opinion.

Gains84

Personally I dont notice any real difference, the worst thing is when the sun is low and blinds everyone but since its barely been out lately im past that stage of year now for my commutes!
Just have to grin and bear it and make sure you have some good strong lights and road positioning in my experience.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I just try and not be on the road at twilight a lot of people have a condition called "Twilight Myopia" which means that although they can see perfectly in daylight or in the dark there is a certain level of light where the eye doesn't focus properly and it has to strain to see/ differentiate things. If you get headaches at this time of day when driving you've probably got it. yellow lenses help.

Yep, I also leave between 7 and 8.30 and never notice a difference in quality of driving, you might however notice it if you are looking for it. But that's just confirmation bias.

400bhp

Guru
I notice a difference. 7am start - roads pretty quiet, relatively fewer incidents.

8am - roads busier, people taking more chances.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I work shifts so I usually avoid the rush and tbf most motorists are pretty considerate around here. The one I hate I'd 8:00 am after the night shift though, everybody is late and stuck in traffic whereas all I want to do is make it home, to bed in one piece.
Outside peak hours is almost a must for me, I'd hate a 9-5

Berties

Fast and careful!
The only big change I notice this time of year is as I leave home at 8.15 I ride into the low winter sun that is just coming up ,and as I pass 3 schools going in,parents don't relise you only spot them at the last moment

Top Bottom