Vastus Medialis (teardrop) Strain - 10K Run on Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any advice gratefully received.

I was a little silly yesterday, realising I had been lackadasical with training for Sunday's 10K run I went out and ended up doing a near-10K undulating circuit (and was pleased with my time to say I haven't run for 3 weeks)

Cycled to work this morning and I only had that "rewarding ache" - you know when your muscles say "I'm here! Glad you remembered me!" but I may have made this worse - decided to try for a faster ride than normal and dug out the Virtuoso which has been recently retrieved from a shortarsed mate and I realised en-route (and allen key-less) that I hadn't raised the saddle back enough to its normal height for me.

Perhaps it's with use of the muscle anyway, and maybe made worse by a poor setup with increased use of the muscle group, but up and down stairs is now a real pain!

Rest tomorrow - I do need to go to work in the car anyway - I was hoping to get another 10K jog in on Friday, an intermediate hill-walk on Saturday and then have a real good go at beating my previous chip time but I'm not sure now if that's a good idea.

If the pain up stairs fades by Friday, should I stick to plan? Or put it down to experience, rest up and just take Sunday's run as it comes, and learn for the Sheffield run in a few months?

I'd be gutted if I had to walk any stretch on Sunday as it's only my 2nd run, the goal of my first last month was to do it in whatever time without stopping or walking, so to do so this time round would feel like a real retrograde step

Fiona N

Veteran
If it's just delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) it would be worth getting a massage from a suitable sports/remedial masseur on your rest day.

I've always found this to be a good way of speeding recovery but you do need a good sports masseur who can judge the fine line between benefit and damage

- and it will hurt - lots :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are supposed to taper before an event, especially if going for a good time.... i.e. drop the 10k Friday run for something gentle and get the legs loosened up.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Since its now friday, its probly to late for any advice, but next time do less overall training in the week before a race but what you do should be race specific.

BTW, if you have to walk a section, dont beat yourself up too bad, take it objectivelly not too emotionally (yup its dissapointing but you cant improve in every single run, and training can be trial and error), it reflects on your training, nutrition, motivation etc, use it to poke out your weakness and work on this during your next training cycle.

Just hold back a little at the start, aim to finish the same speed you set of, or even better speed up gradually towards the end, not slow down. If you do this, I think you will run a faster race!

montage

God Almighty
Fiona N said:
If it's just delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) it would be worth getting a massage from a suitable sports/remedial masseur on your rest day.

I've always found this to be a good way of speeding recovery but you do need a good sports masseur who can judge the fine line between benefit and damage

- and it will hurt - lots :tongue:

Always took me a few days to get over a massage!
Painful is one word for it

montage

God Almighty
I would advise doing a 10k hard run friday and hard walk saturday anyway, even if you weren't injured. Rest up until the race no matter what.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Ah well thanks to those contributing advice but wasn't an issue anyway, I've had no choice but to take it easy...I think stairs should be not painful by tomorrow going on my recovery rate so had no leg-work other than my commute which I eased off on today.

Last run, I did a slow 6 mile walk on the day before, with a short very steep climb and then about 2 miles level and 3 miles winding sescent back to the start. (I'll quite happily do 14-20 miles normally when I go walking at the weekend so a 6 miler isn't a hard walk for me)

Hopefully I'll be OK to do the same tomorrow but not going to push it...do need to get the legs loosened though..lesson learned, should have done my training earlier and not got side-tracked until the last week before the occasion.

Not too worried about time...I've got the Sheffield BUPA run to look forward to at the end of summer to make an effort for

montage

God Almighty
Best of luck!
Last minute training always offers minimal fitness benefits but a higher chance of injury so be careful there.

I'll cross the fingers for you tomorrow (unless of course I am asleep or forget ;) )

ventoux50

Try a GENTLE jog or spin on the bike without pushing the muscles too much, just to get them warmed through and to excite the circulation enough to begin removing accumulated waste lactic products, then perform some gentle static stretching (i.e. no bouncing to cause further injury)...then sit in a bath containing COLD water...... I know the thought of it is scary - but it does work, the rationale behind it is that the cold water constricts the blood vessels esp capillary networks through the muscles , and in doing so forces the lactic by products out - similar to the aims of a good massage.
Try for a good 15 minutes in the bath, the longer you're in the deeper the cold effect.
Ideally you should have done this as soon as you realised these might be a problem, or at least adopted the RICE protocol - Rest Ice Compress Elevate.
best of luck !

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Well, my legs kept me going :rofl:

Slightly disappointed that my time was +3 minutes from my last 10K but there were more bottlenecks due to more runners, I can account for at least 1 minute of that stuck in a mass of people waiting to get around the U-turn at the 6.5K mark, and it was a little hillier than Hull so not too disappointing, I reckon it was the less flat course and slope up towards the finish line that did for me - last time with knowing exactly where the finish line was in relation to my position plus a flat course left just enough in the tank to power through the last 1K to shave a couple of minutes off

I can see me being stuck at between 1 and 5 minutes past the hour for some time though....which isn't a BAD time for someone carrying a large beer barrel in front but I want to do better.

I think the answer must be to not carry as much beer around. Oh dear...why do I have this urge to be fitter all of a sudden? Less beer....less lovely beer :sad:

But my reward mechanism requires a pint tonight..or several :smile:

I shall justify that by signing up now for next month's York run

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well done!

Wouldnt beat yourself up about that time at all. Its a decent time for a relative new runner (body composition aside), and like I said before you cant improve on your previous times every single time.

I think you should try structuring your training properly this time and you will improve.

Top Bottom