VC10s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting fact # 425.

If Concorde were still flying and suffered a complete loss of cabin pressure at cruising altitude (which could be up to 58,000 ft), the passengers would be unconscious within 20 seconds or so, and the oxygen masks would be unlikely to save the passengers from death unless the plane was very rapidly brought down to below 50,000 ft, as above that altitude there isn't enough outside air pressure for the masks to function.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Interesting!

What if you were to hold you breath for long enough, would you be able to get to below 50K, or would you suffer from some other thing caused by the lack in pressure before you got there??

Globalti

Legendary Member
Flying Dodo said:
Interesting fact # 425.

If Concorde were still flying and suffered a complete loss of cabin pressure at cruising altitude (which could be up to 58,000 ft), the passengers would be unconscious within 20 seconds or so, and the oxygen masks would be unlikely to save the passengers from death unless the plane was very rapidly brought down to below 50,000 ft, as above that altitude there isn't enough outside air pressure for the masks to function.

Eh? Why do the masks need air pressure to deliver pressurised oxygen? Educate me please.

Globalti said:
Eh? Why do the masks need air pressure to deliver pressurised oxygen? Educate me please.
If you trust (some of) the info. in Wiki, you could do worse than look it up there. One sentence in particular is rather chilling:
Remarkably, for a widely-deployed piece of safety equipment, some research has suggested that no lives are known to have been saved by use of an emergency oxygen mask...

I've often thought that a lot of the in-flight 'safety' rigmarole is only a load of flannel after all. Surely I can't be the only one whose eyes glaze over and stare out of the window during the cabin crew's routine... However, there's one thing I always do. As I take my seat, I always check where I am in relation to the emergency exit. That's all.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Mad Doug Biker said:
Take a swatch at this brilliant BOAC promotional film from 1963, it even has 2 baby elephants in it, and all in glorious technicolor too

A true gem of a film, although I don't think I really want to know what Fishmuff is/was!:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-iG9Cd4IV0&feature=related

The second part in my opinion is the best, particularly from 2:40 onwards ......Ok, so it's a '707 here, but hey, who cares? just dig the 2 pilots still with military bars on their uniforms!:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9pN591cF1Y&feature=related

Did everyone go to public school in those days?

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
No, the ones who didn't were sent to do all the horrible jobs instead.

A modern Day equivalent might be having to work at Argos for example.

You have to realise that Air travel was still very glamourous in those days and they didn't just employ any old person. The competition just to work as, say, a Hostess was intense, and only the very best got through.
They were the elite.

To fly in those days was a bit like going to the moon, it was that special, especially if you were on a jet airliner!!

You only have to look at the passengers to see that they actually dressed up specially for it!

Globalti said:

It's not a closed pressurised system, such as the enclosed masks used by the pilots. So there's not enough pressure of gas coming out of the masks for you to breathe if the cabin has suffered a complete loss of pressure.

gavintc

Guru
A VC10 take off is bizarre. You are left hanging in the seat belt as the seats face backward. You are also dripped on as the aircraft has remarkable condensation issues. VC10 are old aircraft and were frequently roled carrying freight and passengers. You would have to get past a load strapped into the main area to get to the toilet

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
We get lots of north/south airline traffic here but anything east/west is military. During both the Balkan and Iraq II conflicts B52s were commonplace. VC10s can be seen fairly regularly now going into Brize; usually cross over in the descent through around ten thousand feet. I guess we're about the same distance from Brize as the New Forest.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Bromptonaut said:
We get lots of north/south airline traffic here but anything east/west is military. During both the Balkan and Iraq II conflicts B52s were commonplace. VC10s can be seen fairly regularly now going into Brize; usually cross over in the descent through around ten thousand feet. I guess we're about the same distance from Brize as the New Forest.

Thanks, although they were certainly lower than 10 thousand and both appeared to be flying generally south west.

Anyway, thanks, I was just curious, as I've never really seen any before (AFAIK) and they were seen on two different days so was wondering if that was a regular flightpath for them, that's all.

Now, I'll have to get to Brize one of these days to actually see them properly before they go (train to Wychwood and bike from there as far as I can tell from the map).

Top Bottom